New version of Toledo Talk

May 19, 2006

Does anyone know anything about genealogy ? - I am so curious about my grandparents' history. My cousin (through my paternal Gr'ma) has documented that family tree - but the other three - I know very little.

This is a subscription site - but I wonder if anybody has any guidance for me? I don't really know where to start. I don't know much but there names and where they lived as adults.

posted by katie82640 to history at 3:02 P.M. EST     (11 Comments)

Comments ...

Check with the Mormons. When I lived out west, I visited a Mormon info center to help my uncle with a family tree search in which he was interested.

I'm told that the Church of the Latter Day Saints (AKA - Mormon folks) has some online resources that are free of charge, but I haven't gone looking for them, so I have no links. I may have some after bit, though.

Good luck with it, Katie.

posted by AirTrainer at 08:50 P.M. EST on Fri May 19, 2006     #

thanks airtrainer. Funny you mention that. My baby brother is adopted. He found his birth Mom through the Mormon's site. She's a fantastic lady and this site was the link.

I'll check it out!

posted by katie82640 at 09:41 P.M. EST on Fri May 19, 2006     #

Katie - our Library has a geneology section. You may also want to contact the local libraries where your family's from. Also, churches used to record marriage and baptism records, so consider that as well.
posted by MaggieThurber at 05:33 A.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

Katie - I've done quite a bit of genealogy work on my family and would be glad to help you out. There is quite a bit you can find out on-line. The Family History Center (FHC) run by the Mormon Church has a good site:

The local FHC is located in Perrysburg on 795 and the people there are very helpful.

If you have a library card, you can access AncestryPlus for free at any Toledo-Lucas County library. And you can access something called HeritageQuest with your library card from the comfort of you home (they have a lot of the census images on-line).

Another good place to look is the local sites run by RootsWeb:

You can look up surnames or look at county genealogy sites that other genealogists have created. Most of the info about births, deaths, marriages, etc. is in county records. Rootsweb also has message boards and mailing lists you can search/browse.

The Downtown library has a good local history section (on the 3rd floor). If your ancestors were in the Toledo area, they have an obituary index for the Toledo Blade, all census images for Ohio on microfilm, some county vital statistics records, lots of books, etc. Also BGSU has the Center for Archival Collections:

http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/cac.html that has a lot of records on microfilm for NW Ohio counties.

There is also a site called Cyndi's List that has a lot of links to other sites.

Well, by now you're probably sorry you asked and there is still A LOT more. If you want more specific help, let me know how to contact you and we can take this off-line.

posted by surfer341 at 07:58 A.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

Oh you guys are FANTASTIC. Also my Gr'ma's Bible has some family listings in it too. I'll dig it out and sit down with this stuff tonight.

Thank you thank you!

posted by katie82640 at 10:22 A.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

I found this, looks free.

Also, AOL has a site I think.

posted by starling02 at 05:42 P.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

Katie, I actually wrote a book on Ohio History thanks to my adventures in trying to find out more about my Father's family. I didn't find out much about him as I wanted but I discovered stories about other families. I did use the paid website because they do have more information than the Latter Day Saints. For me it was worth it because a majority of the census information I needed was not available as a free service. However, the only reliable information that they offer is the census data, which can be critical if you don't have a starting point. Bowling Green University has a huge data base of information that would also be helpful and is closer than going to Columbus.

If you need more advice/research help email me and I'll see what I can discover, I've had a great deal of luck as far as helping other people find out information. I hope someday I can still find what I was originally looking for as to my father's family.

posted by psyche777 at 05:55 P.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

You guys are great - I'm finishing laundry and then going to dig into this.

Did you use the paid site from above psyche? I know I may have to use one but I can't afford to do more than one so I don't want to pick the wrong one.

posted by katie82640 at 06:56 P.M. EST on Sat May 20, 2006     #

You wouldnt believe what happened to me as far as geneology goes -

I got an email from a cousin - we'd grown up together, but after college, she'd moved to Georgia, and I hadnt seen her in about 25 years other than the ol' wedding/funeral/promise to get together more often line...

One day I get an email from her saying she'd really been getting into the hobby of geneology research, and had some questions for me. I answered everything as best I could, and then promptly forgot about it all.

A month later, I got a package fm her in the mail with a CD Rom in it. My family's history back to the early 1700's! It was SO interesting!!

So - not much of a help to you I guess, but my point is when you're done, share what you have with your whole family - even the distant ones you dont talk to very often. Monica and I now correspond regularly. Perhaps if you have relatives you dont hear from as much as you like, this would be a way to share a common bond.

posted by billy at 07:02 A.M. EST on Sun May 21, 2006     #

FYI, you can access the Ancestry site you've mentioned above at any Toledo Lucas County library for free (you need a library card). I would check it out at the library before signing up for it. Personally, I don't think it's worth the price -- even with a broadband connection, I find it incredibly slow and nearly everything you find via Ancestry is available for free from federal, state and/or county websites. When I hit a brick wall, I'll stop in at the library and use Ancestry for an hour or so to see if it gives me any additional leads. Then go back home and try to find the actual records using HeritageQuest, USGenWeb, or Rootsweb.
posted by surfer341 at 08:54 A.M. EST on Sun May 21, 2006     #

This is good stuff. I did not get to look at this last night - my son went to a concert. An 18 year old friend was driving. They got onto 75N at Detroit and drove to Pinconning. What a night!

But he's got a real interest in learning to read a map now - so this is a good thing.

posted by katie82640 at 12:09 P.M. EST on Sun May 21, 2006     #

<< Older Narrowest street in Toledo?    |    Showcasing His Art Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search