New version of Toledo Talk

June 14, 2007

Help, Save Me Government!! Saaaave Me!!! - Yeah, Ive been there!! Somebody doesnt pay attention and burns some popcorn. Ive done it myself!! It stinks.

But do we need the government to step in because of it?

Welcome to the world all you anti smokers brought us.

posted by billy to news at 11:53 A.M. EST     (16 Comments)

Comments ...

First they came for the popcorn, and I didn't speak up, because I did not eat popcorn.

Then they came after... ah geez, I'm not nearly motivated enough to finish this.

posted by TheTalentedMrC at 12:28 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

When I saw this headline at Drudge I thought it was going to be for environmental reasons and city-wide (it is Seattle after all). But then when I read the story I found out it's only in city buildings and only because people kept burning them forcing hundreds of people to quit work for 30 minutes.

I think city government has the responsibility to taxpayers to cut crap like this, and if that means making employees find a less burnable snack then so be it. Tax payers don't employee people so they can burn popcorn and shut down city buildings for half and hour. I view this more as an "efficiency of government" issue than a "personal freedom" issue. I'm sure they have dress codes and rules against other behaviors at work that are generally viewed as reasonable. Banning popcorn because it sets the fire alarms off too often is pretty reasonable as well.

Now if city hall had told its employees not to have popcorn at home or it forced its citizens to curtail microwave popcorn in their homes because it was causing too many false alarms for the fire department, then you have a case for infringement of personal liberty.

posted by HeyHey at 12:35 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

and wondered just how many times that popcorn got burned intentionally...terrible of me, huh?
posted by MaggieThurber at 12:38 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

Thats not a bad idea! I'll have to keep that one in mind. I like it!

posted by tm at 01:06 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

*yawn*
posted by joshw at 01:06 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

related:

posted by jhostetler at 01:11 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

So its no so much an issue of the government stepping in, as it is an employer/employee situation? (In this case, the employer happens to be the City of Seattle. But whatever they decide will affect only their employees, so it would still be an employer/employee issue.)
posted by mom2 at 01:50 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

Sounds like someone found a good way to get out of a meeting, a longer lunch or out of work early.

I don't see this as a big government thing sounds more like a workplace issue.

posted by OhioKat at 02:25 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

I work in a large office building and one someone burns pop corn you can smell it all over for a couple hours or more.
posted by SensorG at 02:30 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

Hell, that shit will KILL you, Billy! I know, because they said it on the news, and had some important doctors and politicians and stuff.

posted by Darkseid at 03:18 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

posted by Darkseid at 03:21 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

posted by Darkseid at 03:23 P.M. EST on Thu Jun 14, 2007     #

You know, a government that actually saves me from my own stupidity would be useful! Alas, the reality is that you would still be stupid, you wouldn't be saved, and the government would make sure that the cost of its worthless action would be picked up by other citizens. Overall, that's a bad deal and having such a nanny state is therefore a bad IDEA.
posted by GuestZero at 10:27 A.M. EST on Fri Jun 15, 2007     #

Same here. Stinks to high heaven.

Still no reason to ask the gub'ment to step in...

posted by billy at 01:18 P.M. EST on Fri Jun 15, 2007     #

Still no reason to ask the gub'ment to step in...

Uh, billy...the story you linked isn't a "gub'ment" interference issue. Its an employer/employee issue.

I actually have worked for an employer that didn't allow microwave popcorn. Seemed a little silly to me, but apparently there was a chronic problem with people burning popcorn shortly before I began working there.

posted by mom2 at 01:56 P.M. EST on Fri Jun 15, 2007     #

I work in a local hospital and we're not allowed to microwave popcorn either. I think it's a good idea in a hospital at least- that's the last thing you want to smell if you're sick. We're also not allowed to wear "offensive" perfume/cologne either.
posted by dell_diva at 10:16 A.M. EST on Sat Jun 16, 2007     #

<< Older Dems and Repubs sell out to coke plant    |    Scary!!! Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search