New version of Toledo Talk

August 1, 2007

Toledo's pit bull law upheld - so what do you do if you own one? - Like everyone else, I love my pets. I really wonder what effect this case will have on current pit bull owners.

Are they grandfathered?

posted by paulhem to news at 11:16 A.M. EST     (8 Comments)

Comments ...

I doubt that there is a grandfather clause on this. And goodluck getting liability insurance, I think there are only 1 or two insurance companies that don't exclude pit bulls, some actually exclude a whole bunch of dogs, pit bulls, chows, dobes.
posted by roygbiv at 12:01 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 01, 2007     #

some actually exclude a whole bunch of dogs, pit bulls, chows, dobes.

And Chihuahuas. Damn demon dogs.

posted by TheTalentedMrC at 12:07 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 01, 2007     #

some actually exclude a whole bunch of dogs, pit bulls, chows, dobes.

And Chihuahuas. Damn demon dogs.

Seems to me in the last year or two there was an article about a cop chasing a suspect into a house and being attacked by a pack of chihuahuas, and he had to go to the hospital for treatment to his ankles and shins. I'm sure the embarassment was worse than the bites.

posted by roygbiv at 12:20 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 01, 2007     #

Damn demon dogs I'm with ya on that!

Used to do residential installation. If the dog was a 'real dog' (higher than knee-high), no problem.

Chihuahuas, Pekingese(sp?) or one of those little dogs having the 'Napoleon Complex', I'd tell them to put it away or they're not getting installed. Invariably, they'd say
"Oh, he/she doesn't bite"
"Does the dog have teeth lady?"
"Why yes it does"
"Then it'll bite. Put it away!"

Damn demon dogs

Never ever had problems with Pits, Dobes, Mastiffs.....

posted by Plantman at 02:16 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 01, 2007     #

Yeah, I've read many times that your average chihuahua is more vioious than your average "big dog." They get away with acting all snarly and dominant because owners think it's "cute" and/or "funny."

Well, of course it's not cute or funny.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the breed responsible for more bites than any other breed is, believe it or not, the cocker spaniel! (Granted, "somewhere" is not necessarily a very valid source, but I DO remember reading this!)

I remember when this law first was enacted and I worried that my Boston Terrier might be considered a "bully breed" undger the vague wording, and that someone might want him taken away from me, especially if we got him a Boston brother or sister, so then we'd have two "bully breeds." I love that affectionate, funny, smart dog with all my heart and it would kill me if my sweet doggie was deemed vicious just because of his breed.

I think pit bull owners -- the responsible kind -- are getting a raw deal with this law.

To answer Paul Hem, I don't know what you're supposed to do if you own a (more than one) pit bull. I guess you're expected to either put the dog down, dump him off at a shelter or try to find him a new home. Or move.

posted by jmleong at 12:42 A.M. EST on Thu Aug 02, 2007     #

(Holy typos! Remind me to proofread my posts a little better before I submit them!)
posted by jmleong at 10:26 A.M. EST on Thu Aug 02, 2007     #

The problem with pit bulls isn't the attacks or the stigma surrounding them. It's that they've been bred to be perfect lethal killing machines.

There are many responsible owners out there but all dogs are unpredictable (even my two beagles). Where the problem comes in is a pit bull has the breeding to do more damage than other dogs with little effort.

It's unfortunate because I've had friends with pit bulls and they've been very good dogs. However because of the potential I will never own one.

posted by MikeyA at 10:59 A.M. EST on Thu Aug 02, 2007     #

Because of the potential, you might not ever want to own a miniature schnauzer. My bf's parents have one and he's charged and bitten no fewer than four people -- that I can recall.

Also because of the potential to inflict fatal injuries, you might not ever want to own a rottweiler, chow, Siberian husky, German shephard, great dane, labrador, daschund, doberman, west highland, sled dog or a st. bernard, either, according to data compiled by the National Canine Research Council on fatal dog attacks from 1995-1999: http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/fatalattackstatistics.asp

According to the CDC, citing the American Veterinary Association: "Dangerous" dog laws focus on dogs of any breed that have exhibited harmful behavior (e.g., unprovoked attacks on persons or animals) and place primary responsibility for a dog's behavior on the owner. Because a dog's tendency to bite depends on other factors in addition to genetics (e.g., medical and behavioral health, early experience, socialization and training, and victim behavior), such laws might be more effective than breed-specific legislation.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5226a1.htm

I personally believe that probably 99 percent of dog bites and/or fatal dog attacks are a people problem, not a dog problem, regardless of breed.

posted by jmleong at 12:01 P.M. EST on Thu Aug 02, 2007     #

<< Older Restaurant bites Dust - Plea from Bar Ow...    |    How many use or are aware of Yelp? Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search