New version of Toledo Talk

May 10, 2007

Primary in Florida might not count. - "No delegates would be awarded based upon the results and instead party activists and insiders would decide on some later date how to divvy up the state's more than 200 delegates to the Democratic national convention."

I'm a little confused by this. Does this mean that the votes for the presidential electrion wont count, and that the currently elected body there will be voting instead? This sounds terribly illegal and unconstitutional if so.

posted by jshriver to politics at 11:42 A.M. EST     (16 Comments)

Comments ...

"Still, the Republican penalties for holding such an early primary are nowhere near as stiff as the Democratic penalties."

Make sense to anyone? Not entirely sure what or why there are penalties, but if so why wouldn't be segregated by party?

*shakes head*

posted by jshriver at 11:48 A.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Does this mean that the votes for the presidential election wont count -JS

Probably not the case, but not a bad idea. I think it's about time Florida sat out an election cycle in the penalty box.

posted by thetoledowire_com at 01:16 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

J, it appears that if the proposal is accepted, the Dem primary votes in Florida will only be advisory. The Dem insiders will retire to some (probably smoking-banned) back room and decide for themselves how to allocate delegates to the Dem convention.

This is really not so out of place, now, is it? We use the electoral college to actually obtain a President, and it's possible for an elector to not vote as she was assigned to do. That's happened a few times in US history, most recently in 2000 with the DC elector for Gore abstaining.

posted by GuestZero at 01:28 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

What is the electral college? I thought an election was won just on the number of votes by citizens.
posted by jshriver at 01:48 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

jshriver - are you being sarcastic?

If not, try here.

posted by MaggieThurber at 02:54 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

I thought an election was won just on the number of votes by citizens

LOL, I wish. Paging President Gore...

posted by McCaskey at 03:19 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Speaking of the Electoral College, there's a bill being advanced that would guarantee that the winner of the popular vote would automatically get that states electoral votes. I like the idea. It returns us to the idea of "one person, one vote". Why should California's voter have more pull than Vermont (for instance).
posted by Chris99 at 03:50 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Oh, here's the link
posted by Chris99 at 03:51 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Many people mistakenly think the United States is a democracy. It is actually a "republic." Remember that pledge that goes like this - "... and to the republic, for which it stands ..."
The OP and others confused by this topic might want to consider taking a basic political science course to brush up.

posted by BKerr at 05:34 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Stop looking at me, I didn't do nothing.

:x

posted by BrianInFlorida at 06:00 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

I think everyone is confusing the worthless party convention delegates for primaries with actual electoral delegates.

There is no teeth in primary delegate penalties and the states know it. They simply don't care for stupid party rules, where as the other is under federal law for el presidente.

posted by brassmonkey at 08:38 P.M. EST on Thu May 10, 2007     #

Actually, it works the other way around. Voters in the more populous States have their vote diluted. The Electoral College is allocated by the sum of each State's # of Representives and Senators. Representives are a function of a State's population and Senators are static at 2 per State. Therefore the value of each Senator is higher for States with a smaller population.

Mike and Maggie must have skipped this thread.

posted by Lerch at 09:51 P.M. EST on Mon May 14, 2007     #

nope - I posted a link to the electoral college....
posted by MaggieThurber at 06:36 A.M. EST on Tue May 15, 2007     #

What I was saying Lerch, is that under the current system California (for instance) is catered to more than a state with few electoral votes available. Wouldn't it make sense (under the current system) for a candidate to cater to California and their 55 electoral votes than Vermont and their 3 votes available?

In fact, under the current system it's possible for a candidate to win 11 states, and not get a single vote in 39 other states to win the presidency.

posted by Chris99 at 08:21 A.M. EST on Tue May 15, 2007     #

oops.....sorry Maggie....I guess my page down finger had a spasm.

Chris99.....I'm all FOR a straight popular vote. This whole Electoral College might have made sense way back when, but its nothing but absurdity today.

As for the primaries.....I haven't a clue how to sort out that mess. I can see it distilling down to allocating primary dates by lottery. Wouldn't that befuddle the Wizards of Oz that create campaign strategies when the deck isn't dealt until 6 mos. before the first primary?

posted by Lerch at 10:09 P.M. EST on Tue May 15, 2007     #

Not to sound defeatist, but unfortunately the State of Florida can't even count votes correctly so their latest brilliant idea about an early primary election (of course thought up by a mostly REPUBLICAN Legislature) will blow up in smoke and we can be the butt of jokes for America once again! Sorry, I just signed on to this site because I am from Ohio and live in Florida now. Don't get me wrong, it's nice living here but when it comes to elections....well we all know how Florida likes to handle them huh? LOL Anyway, I am glad I found this site and I just also wanted to give a shout out to JimAvolt and say HI JIM! :)
posted by ShirleyinFla at 09:25 P.M. EST on Sat May 19, 2007     #

<< Older You wise medical types. Need some help    |    Modern Health Care System is the Leading... Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search