New version of Toledo Talk

January 12, 2006

Toledo Talk Addiction/ Dedication - How much time would you estimate you spend on Toledo Talk per day? How do you spend this time: posting topics, posting replies, reading, or fact checking.

I am asking for no other reason than curiosity.

I would estimate I spend around 1/2 hour to an hour a day, mostly reading. I do notice that I tend to go in streaks where I'll spend an hour or more some days, and then other times I'll spend less than 10 minutes on Toledo Talk.

How about you?

posted by lloyd to technology at 2:13 P.M. EST     (18 Comments)

Comments ...

It really varies for me, lloyd. If the postings are interesting, maybe 20-30 minutes a day.

If it is flame wars between the right and left, much less.

There have been threads, though, where my participation certainly left "Dedicatedville" and approached "Obsessiveville."

At least 2/3 of my work is online currently (I teach online, edit online, reearch online, and tutor online), so it's easier for me to take a 2-minute break and surf.

It's a good thing I don't plan on bringing any more kids into the world, because the RF waves from my laptop are probably causing untold damage to... well, let's forget about that.

:-}

posted by historymike at 03:10 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

It depends on the day, somedays I can spend more than an hour depending on the topic and how much research I do to input into a topic. Sometimes it's a few minutes. There is no way I can visit all of my favorite spots every day and still blog and actually do real life stuff, but Toledo Talk is one of those few places I at least visit every day.
posted by psyche777 at 04:26 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

I try to spend 1/2 - 1 hour keeping current most days, plus or minus.

Lately, with the flareup of flames, I just make sure that the thread is recorded as read and get on with my life.

A flame heavy thread is an unread thread, by me.

posted by Hooda_Thunkit at 05:30 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

43 hours and 19 minutes a day.
posted by BrianInFlorida at 05:53 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

half-hour
posted by limedrops911 at 07:37 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

There for a while I was on a Posting Topics Binge...which was great reading and responding to posters replies to Topics I had posted...lately...I've been quietly reading!!!

I visit Toledo Talk sometimes 2-3 times a day reading new comments...I would say...I average about 30-40 minutes per day at Toledo Talk.

I enjoy this forum very much...

posted by MARIELORA at 07:59 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

Me too. About a half hour a day unless something really interests me.
posted by swantucky at 08:35 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

I'm good for 30 minutes, unless the door gets opened for smoking ban talk, then I can type for hours on end.

I really look forward to the evening scan of issues important to the group.

posted by jimavolt at 09:05 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

Oh goodnes! I spend about an 1 hr. Frankly I like most (but not all) of the flame wars. I usually learn something. Gaining knowledge and understanding is exceptionaly rewarding. Thanks to all of you who so thoroughly research topics and present cogent arguments. Its mind candy.
posted by holland at 09:43 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

Double whatever Brian in Florida spends on it.
posted by Ben_Konop at 11:10 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

Double whatever Brian in Florida spends on it.

?? Huh? Uh, yea, ok.

1/2 hour here. Is someone going to do a pie chart or bar graph or something on all these stats?

posted by babbleman at 11:43 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

It seems that most hang around Toledo Talk around 1/2 hour to an hour a day. I'm not good with pie charts.

I have to admit that I have checked Toledo Talk on my cell phone. I am good though about not checking at work.

The better question might have been: how many times do you check Toledo Talk per day?

posted by lloyd at 11:47 P.M. EST on Thu Jan 12, 2006     #

Once, and hit refresh 13,956 times, average, a day.
posted by BrianInFlorida at 04:24 A.M. EST on Fri Jan 13, 2006     #

"I have to admit that I have checked Toledo Talk on my cell phone."

Interesting. How did that work out? Did it display properly? Did you use the pda view of Toledo Talk to read the site? Posting and searching aren't part of the simple look.

posted by jr at 08:35 A.M. EST on Fri Jan 13, 2006     #

Jr.

I use Sprint vision, and the only thing that doesn't display properly is the banner. It also tends to be pretty slow sometimes, but I will try the pda version and let you know. Thanks.

posted by lloyd at 09:22 A.M. EST on Fri Jan 13, 2006     #

Jr,

That works sooo much better. I didn't even know about the pda version.

posted by lloyd at 09:25 A.M. EST on Fri Jan 13, 2006     #

In the sidebar on the front page, there's a link called "simplified view" and under this view is the pda link. So it's a bit hidden. Since I didn't have the posting a new topic and posting a comment available in the pda view, I didn't put the link on the front page. But now that I have a mobile web tester in lloyd, I'll add more to the pda view.

Websites in the not-so-distant future will have to provide "light" or mobile versions or risk the possibility of losing users. The mobile web is expected to rapidly grow in popularity in the U.S. over the next few years. I lose patience now with bloated media websites. The mobile web will do the culling.

lloyd, here's a mobile search that looks interesting: http://www.4info.net

A gadget I'd like to buy this year is the Nokia 770. It's not a phone. It doesn't take pictures. It's a small WiFi-enabled Internet tablet that I could use at home (after our wireless network is setup) and out wherever when I just need to read the web. Do grocery stores provide WiFi access? They will someday.

posted by jr at 10:11 A.M. EST on Fri Jan 13, 2006     #

Probably varies between 10 minutes to two hours, depending on whether or not I just read, respond to any, or post something myself.
posted by Foolkiller at 06:43 A.M. EST on Sat Jan 14, 2006     #

<< Older Baby monitors! I love 'em!    |    Graffiti in Toledo Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search