New version of Toledo Talk

August 3, 2005

Red Camera Alert!!! - Red Light Cameras (and Speed Traps) are like dandelions…

Another one has recently “sprouted” on Westbound Heatherdowns at Cass.

Purpose: To nickel and dime the patrons of the Stranahan Theater as they sprint back to the Southern and Western burbs.

Unless you possess more money than brains, be mindful of its’ presence, and also of the potential to track your speed.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
:-)

posted by Hooda_Thunkit to other at 12:33 P.M. EST     (12 Comments)

Comments ...

Thank You! I travel through there regularly. Although I believe I drive conservatively I actually missed a red light camera ticket by a whisker, I think. My car was the only one in (or at) the intersection and the camera flashed as I passed through. I use "PhotoBlocker" spray on all my vehicle license plates. No ticket ever arrived and is it has been six months.
posted by holland at 03:00 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

what is PhotoBlocker spray and where do I get some????
posted by intrepid at 04:07 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

What has surprised me has been the absence of vandalism against the devices.

I thought it would only be a matter of weeks before some Robin Hood-esque freedom fighter started to spraypaint or paintball the cameras, something like Paul Newman and the parking meters in "Cool Hand Luke."

So far, they seem to have avoided the ire of those less inclined to be reigned in by the law.

Of course, perhaps they have been routinely vandalized, but the vandalism has been kept quiet by city officials to prevent mass rebellion against this technology.

posted by historymike at 05:14 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

one source of the spray.

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 05:25 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

psyche777,
Thanks for the link!

Although, I'll probably never ever need it...;-)

I can pass it along to my msny "fast" friends :-)

posted by Hooda_Thunkit at 05:50 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

Ask and I shall find HT, most times anyway.

:-)

I know there are license plate covers people used to use for the same purpose but alot of states have declared them illegal.

posted by psyche777 at 05:54 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

--------------------------------------------

Bingo. One of the first ones in town (perhaps THE first) was the one closest to me at Airport & Reynolds. For a VERY long time, they were routinely screwed with. I have no idea how the perps did it, but every so often, they were sticking almost straight up in the air. :D That took a lot of balls at that intersection, because it's well-lit, and cops are around there all hours of the night (never patrolling the NEIGHBORHOODS much, of course). This went on for about 6 months, then they must've welded 'em or fastened things down a lot more securely. Hey-I LIKE that paintball idea-if you're a good shot, it could be done from quite a distance, & doesn't take very long, either. Ahhh...vigilantes. I love 'em.

posted by Foolkiller at 06:04 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

Oops!

Should have been "many fast friends."

posted by Hooda_Thunkit at 06:19 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

I thought it might be some new secret code for Milan dragway fans.

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 06:49 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

www.photoblocker.com. I believe that is does work and it is undectable.
posted by holland at 07:14 P.M. EST on Wed Aug 03, 2005     #

Here's an amazing idea:

START A REFERENDUM TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR TOLEDO TO USE THEM!

posted by anonymouscoward at 11:25 A.M. EST on Thu Aug 04, 2005     #

VIGILANTES UNITE !
posted by toledoan at 01:59 A.M. EST on Sun Aug 28, 2005     #

<< Older Open thread discussing Toledo's mayoral ...    |    Fuel Cell Progress is Slow Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search