New version of Toledo Talk

July 17, 2006

Listen to the WSPD afternoon show today - Via the Glass City Jungle blog, Maggie Thurber will be guest hosting this afternoon for Brian Wilson. She will speak with psyche777 a little after 3:30 about "blogs and blogging in general especially how it relates to encouraging political involvement and the role of blogs as an alternative news source."
posted by jr to media at 11:22 A.M. EST     (60 Comments)

Comments ...

Thanks for the tip. I will be tuning it at work.
posted by Toledolaw05 at 01:47 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Thanks jr.

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 03:37 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

psyche777, you gave a fine radio performance, and you represented the Pajamahideen well.
posted by jr at 04:11 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

The force was with me...

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 04:13 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Maggie - great job! Hopefully there will be more to come.

Psyche I wish I could have caught your appearance but I didn't know about it till I tuned in at 5:30.

posted by babbleman at 04:39 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

I missed it! I went downtown for the city council meeting. Sounds like you did a fine job though!
posted by katie82640 at 05:52 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Yep - had several compliments about the interveiw/discussion. Thanks to Lisa RENEE for agreeing to be on!
posted by MaggieThurber at 06:59 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Maggie and Lisa - sorry I missed it, but had to be at that council meeting. Hopefully there will be a second chance to hear the both of you do radio again.
posted by DoknowDocare at 07:27 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

I'm sure you'll have the chance to hear Maggie again, she did a great job.

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 07:36 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Man, I turned on Speedy for the ride home, and I sez to myself, hey - that doesnt sound like the voiceover for one of homer simpson's buddies!

Great Job Maggie! Very fair and balanced!!

posted by billy at 08:18 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

I missed it...does WSPD podcast their shows? (Doubt it, but have to ask)
posted by timault at 08:18 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Maggie did a great job. Her balanced demeanor and ability to explain the issues at hand were a refreshing treat from the regular programming for me.
posted by jimavolt at 08:22 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Thanks for the kudos, all. It was fun but much more work than you'd imagine. Trying to keep track of the proper phrases (as they said, consistency is the key) along with the transitions to news/weather/traffic was a bit difficult for someone who's never done something like this before....

Sorry, timault, they don't yet do podcasts, but they said they're working on it. I also suggested that they put their interviews out on their website. It's not the whole show, but it's a start.

posted by MaggieThurber at 08:46 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

Does anyone know if Maggie's participation today and the Russ Lemmon piece about Denny Schaffer possibly coming back are indication that Brian Wilson may be leaving WSPD?

BTW, I heard you Maggie and you did a good job.

posted by corky at 09:14 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

corky - thanks - but I was just a guest filling in. Brian was covering the morning show because Fred's on vacation. I guess it's hard to cover vacations for talk show hosts because other on-air talent has their own show to do...
posted by MaggieThurber at 09:36 P.M. EST on Mon Jul 17, 2006     #

I didn't get to hear much, but what I did hear I enjoyed. I can hear it now..."Afternoons with Maaaaaaaad Maggie on the Mighty Maumee, 3-6 on NewsTalk 1370 WSPD!"
posted by fequalsma73 at 01:41 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Maggie,

I too enjoyed listening to you yesterday.

I thought you did a fantastic job putting the arena issue into prospective.

But I did find your stumbling into "..is it traffic? Is it news?" quite refreshing, only because I'm used to hearing, "...*&)^#$)*&#_#$@)#$*@) HOLD THE CUE CARD HIGHER!"

You have quite a radio voice, your clarity and crispness of your fluctuations can get you a gig on a reputable station, and I think it may be something to get your agent to work, you're highly educated and well versed on the area. Do a couple more guest spots to season yourself. Find yourself a nimrod to throw topics off of and a decent and attentive producer, and you'll end up an "Armitron Darling".

posted by BrianInFlorida at 04:49 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

What a bunch of crap. If Maggie was a DEMOCRAT
WSPD would be calling for her resignation rather than giving her airtime.

posted by tiger at 10:18 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Now, now, Tiger. Don't you realize how "fair and balanced" WSPD is?
And this is not a dig at Ms. Thurber, who was, in my opinion, much more listenable than the usual mumbling clown they have in that timeslot.

posted by McCaskey at 10:24 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Yeah, so, what's your point, tiger? Talk radio is simply an extended audio version of the op-ed section of a newspaper. No one says you have to read or listen to either one. And neither exists to please everyone.

Where are the radio entrepreneurs?

Over a year ago, a new weekly newspaper, the Toledo Free Press, began publishing. So far, the paper seems to be doing well. Someone saw a market in this area for such a paper and took a risk.

Why hasn't someone detected a market for local talk radio that supposedly represents the flip-side of the AM stations that currently exist in Toledo? Where's the risk-taker?

posted by jr at 10:34 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

What part of ..If Maggie was a Democrat, WSPD would be claling for her resignation, not giving her air time.....did you not understand.
The point is clear.

posted by tiger at 12:52 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Via radio - via stream or via podcast the next day. Every Tuesday afternoon from 2-4 p.m. there is a talk show called the "Nookular Option". I've been on it as well as several others including Ben Konop and today Joe McNamara will be on around 2:30 p.m.

posted by psyche777 at 01:03 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

posted by fequalsma73 at 01:24 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

"The point is clear."

In your reality it might be clear. The point is you still have no point.

"It has nothing to do with her performance or the purpose of talk radio in general."

Exactly, which proves my point that your initial comment was pointless.

I thought the main subject of this thread was what psyche777 talked about on WSPD:

"... blogs and blogging in general especially how it relates to encouraging political involvement and the role of blogs as an alternative news source."

Maggie's three-hour, guest-hosting radio performance became a secondary subject in this thread, which was sort of expected, since she was mentioned in the initial posting that started this thread.

tiger, your initial comment swerved off the deep-end with something about WSPD and Democrats, which sounds like an opinion you should post in one of the WSPD-centric threads like this one.

posted by jr at 01:31 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Ahem, back to the topic :-)

Maggie - I would like to thank you for assisting me in learning how to operate a radio.

Ha.

posted by katie82640 at 01:58 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

I did mention you yesterday Kate on air and Maggie gave a plug for your website too.

:-)

posted by psyche777 at 02:02 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

"Tiger--would Air America allow a Republican to guest host? Didn't think so. Where's that Wahmbulance, billy??? "---above post

Exactly, fequalsma73. WSPD, like Fox News, serves up red meat for its salivating right-wing listeners (and viewers).

So they should drop the ridiculously bogus "fair and balanced" tag.

posted by McCaskey at 02:12 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Just a clarification...I don't believe that WSPD's tag is "fair and balanced." In fact, after having to repeat it quite often yesterday, their tag is "news talk 1370 wspd." Rather, it's the FOX news feed prior to the local news that is tagged as "fair and balanced."

Talk radio is opinionated (like editorial pages) - the news should not be.

posted by MaggieThurber at 02:52 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

WSPD sucks. I am hereby calling for a boycott on all of WSPD's sponsers. Here are some:

Vonage
Harris Cleaning
Cousino Construction
AT&T
Custom Silicone Bracelets
Verizon Wireless
Hansons
Kia Automotive

Feel free to join me.

posted by pink_slip at 03:22 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Pink_slip - if you don't like them, don't listen. Why a boycott?
posted by MaggieThurber at 04:47 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

thanks Lisa and Maggie for the mention! I would loved to have heard it. I'm sure they'll be a next time tho' - everybody's talking about it
posted by katie82640 at 05:10 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Maggie Thurber should be on WSPD Radio as a guest host. Why Not??

If you think WSPD is too conservative, then don't listen...

This idea of boycotting WSPD's sponsors is dumb!!

Old ideas..old thinking.

posted by fredbruford at 05:12 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

well why just stop listening when you can hurt them if they say things you don't approve of?

C'mon - this is America - let's get 'em :-) (dripping w/sarcasm)

posted by katie82640 at 05:19 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Pink_slip - if you don't like them, don't listen. Why a boycott?

Simple--it's a stronger statement than just not listening.

This idea of boycotting WSPD's sponsors is dumb!!

Whoa.....easy there mister. "dumb"? with TWO exclamation marks???????? Next time I shall be forced to hit the "ouch" button....

posted by pink_slip at 05:32 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Hey pinkie,

If you don't like something, stay away from it. Once it's no longer a part of your life, you'll be a happier person.

posted by jimavolt at 05:36 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

pink_slip, FB said the idea was dumb, not that you were dumb.
posted by gotoledogo at 06:39 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

I never claimed he said I was dumb.
posted by pink_slip at 07:08 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

Question for Brian in Florida -- just what the heck is an "Armitron Darling"? I think you've got your terms mixed up, or you have a misunderstanding of something. What's an Armitron?
posted by AndSoItGoes at 07:12 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 18, 2006     #

"Arbitron Darling"

Ho boy, you got me against the ropes with that one.

Got that doorknob thing figured out?

posted by BrianInFlorida at 03:42 A.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

Vonage
Harris Cleaning
Cousino Construction
AT&T
Custom Silicone Bracelets
Verizon Wireless
Hansons
Kia Automotive

Vonage, Verizon, and AT&T...who is going to change their phone service over this?

Harris Cleaning...if your house is burned or flooded, are you really worried about who you are boycotting?

Cousino Construction...why wouldn't you go with the lowest bidder?

Custom Silicon Bracelets...um, never heard of it.

Hansons...again, why not go with the lowest priced windows? Are you really willing to pay for boycotting a radio station?

Kia...are you going to go to Ann Arbor to buy a freakin' Kia? They are like $12K! Are you really going to save that much?

posted by fequalsma73 at 06:15 A.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

Luckily, I don't use any of these companies anyway. Isn't there a Kia on Central Ave??
posted by pink_slip at 07:56 A.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

giggling here

posted by katie82640 at 09:49 A.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

Maggie Thurber: I get the point about the "fair and balanced" line. I have NO idea why, sometimes I just assume WSPD and Fox News are one in the same. They kind of look alike, sound alike, smell alike.....oh, never mind.

Speaking, Ms. Thurber, of sounds...You have a very pleasant....sort of kittenish.....kind of seductive.....YOU HAVE A DAMN SEXY RADIO VOICE. I was transfixed Monday afternoon driving on the 475, listening to you. I have no idea WHAT you said. I couldn't focus. But it SOUNDED very fine. And, I refuse to believe I'm the only male listener who found it refreshing, since we're usually saddled with marble-mouthed Wilson at that time. Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, just giving credit where its due...

posted by McCaskey at 01:29 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

I had to turn the radio off because there were kids in the room. j/k You do have a nice radio voice, though.
posted by fequalsma73 at 03:20 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

WOW - never realized that...(blushing)...but good to know. Thanks!!!!!
posted by MaggieThurber at 03:29 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

Getting slightly back to psyche777's point of being interviewed on the radio:

Pew research released a report today about blogging. Summary from the eLearning Technology blog about the Pew report:

* Eight percent of internet users, or about 12 million American adults, keep a blog.

* Thirty-nine percent of internet users, or about 57 million American adults, read blogs a significant increase since the fall of 2005.

* 37% of bloggers cite "my life and experiences" as a primary topic of their blog

* More than half (54%) of bloggers are under the age of 30.

posted by jr at 06:00 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

Uh...I'm under 30 :-)

NOT... very interesting stats jr.

12m blogs. Wow.

You know my folks do all of their banking, correspondence and investing online. 69 and 72 years old :-)

posted by katie82640 at 08:43 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

katie--I AM under 30. What do your 72 year old parents have to do with a sexual position? 69? Keep it clean, katie!
posted by fequalsma73 at 10:16 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 19, 2006     #

LOL
posted by katie82640 at 09:08 A.M. EST on Thu Jul 20, 2006     #

As a host on Wealth Management Sunday on WSPD every Sunday at 8 AM I really enjoy listening to all the great programs on WSPD. If you have any feedback on my show, let me know by visiting https://www.bakerfinancialgroup.com
posted by RetirementGuys at 08:51 P.M. EST on Fri Jul 28, 2006     #

Programming note...I'll be guest hosting again on Aug. 14th and 16th when Brian Wilson takes his vacation....Any ideas for topics of discussion?
posted by MaggieThurber at 08:04 A.M. EST on Sat Jul 29, 2006     #

Talk with someone or some people behind this September's Artomatic 419 event. And maybe discuss the roles, if any, the arts can play in revitalizing the city.

People ignorant of the arts have this whacked belief that the arts are for the elite and wealthy, and that's not the case. Many arts events are free or inexpensive, cheaper than a Hens game. Maybe a guest could educate people about this fact. Art isn't always about buying something to take home.

posted by jr at 11:07 A.M. EST on Sat Jul 29, 2006     #

Maggie,

Why don't you talk about the Tom Noe case and its implications on the local Republican party, if any? Seriously. It would be interesting. I'm not trying to pressure you into talking about your involvement, but it would be intriguing to hear from an insider.

Another topic: what do parents and students think about all the school uniform and/or clothing regulations that will be in effect this upcoming school year in Toledo and Springfield? Do kids have freedom of speech via their clothing?

posted by AndSoItGoes at 11:21 A.M. EST on Sat Jul 29, 2006     #

The school uniform policy is only new this year for the high school kids in TPS. This will be the third year for the early grades, and the second year for middle and junior high. And the vast majority of parents approve of TPS's uniform policy.

Freedom of speech via expensive, designer clothing? Don't the kids have any more creative ability than that? The kids can express their "free speech" via clothing after school on their own time and not on the taxpayers dime.

What about expressing their free speech or creativity in school via art, extracurricular activities, and maybe by even getting good grades? How about they learn math and writing? That's what they're there for, not to express free speech with clothing.

If the kids are making their own clothes from scratch, fine. But if they are pulling things off a rack at a store and calling that "free speech," then they need to send out for a new brain.

posted by jr at 01:21 P.M. EST on Sat Jul 29, 2006     #

AndSoIGoes - two things - I'm still following the advice of my attorneys to have no comment on those issues...and because the show is not supposed to be about me - one of the criteria for being a guest host (don't focus on yourself...).

But, I'll see if there's a way to address the question of the impact on the local GOP...

...school uniforms is always a good topic...As jr demonstrated - usually strong feelings on both sides of the issue.

jr - local art scene...I've visited the website and will see if there's interest in adding this subject to the discussion.

Thanks!

posted by MaggieThurber at 07:29 A.M. EST on Sun Jul 30, 2006     #

Maybe you could interview Pete & Tina.
;)

posted by SherryET at 08:56 A.M. EST on Sun Jul 30, 2006     #

Maggie - the Artomatic event is extraordinary. We went last year and were pleasantly surprised. The artwork on display was varied and eclectic, the artists were interesting, articulate, inspiring and forward thinking. The poetry readings, drawings, paintings, sculptures, 2 and 3 dimensional art were thought provoking. The array of talents was mind boggling and a great learning experience. One thing that struck me as an observation was the mix of people - both participants and attendants. There were all races, all financial classes, all sizes, shapes, colors. The crowds themselves were a thought provoking display.

Perhaps an interview with some of the artists as well as the organizers could help encourage participation and attendance.

For those that have said that "the arts" can't sustain a viable portion of local economy - they should look again. As part of a larger puzzle, the arts are a mainstay.

posted by DoknowDocare at 08:59 A.M. EST on Sun Jul 30, 2006     #

Doknow - thanks! I'll talk to the show's producer about this.

Sherry - LOL!

posted by MaggieThurber at 07:27 A.M. EST on Mon Jul 31, 2006     #

Maggie - you should also attend if you can. It's a wonderful experience!
posted by DoknowDocare at 09:07 A.M. EST on Mon Jul 31, 2006     #

Unfortunately, DKDC, I'm already booked for the first three Saturdays...have to see about the fourth one, though....Looks like tons of fun!
posted by MaggieThurber at 11:37 A.M. EST on Mon Jul 31, 2006     #

<< Older Paperwork - The New Tool Against Terror    |    Listen to the WSPD afternoon show today Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search