New version of Toledo Talk

July 17, 2007

Think a water bar would fly in Toledo? - 80 types of bottled water that ranges anywhere from $30-$55 a bottle? At first I thought I was reading an article from the Onion or something, but nope...this is a real place.

While I do realize that there can be a slight difference in "taste" with water (variation in tap water from different communities or different bottled brands...probably due to a slightly different mineral composition), there is no water that could inspire me to pay $55 a liter when I can go fill up a glass at my tap for next to nothing.

(I'd say "free," but I know we ultimtely pay the water bill...still, the per glass fee is minimal.)

posted by mom2 to food at 6:26 A.M. EST     (20 Comments)

Comments ...

From the article: Via Genova, a water bar in Chappaqua, N.Y. (home of Bill and Hillary Clinton), is cashing in on the craze, stocking water bottles that look more like collectors items.

That says it all.

At any rate, people in Toledo indulge hugely in buying bottled water. Bottled water not only wastes energy from shipping, manufacturing and pumping, but the water in those bottles is generally less regulated than what comes out of your municipal tap.

Once Americans started buying water when they had perfectly good taps at home, I knew some serious stupid had infected the collective mind.

posted by GuestZero at 07:06 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

I wish every bottled water fan would be able to see this article.

If you want portable water, go to Krogers, or Target, or Walgreens and get an insulated container. Fill it with water. You're good to go.

I belive that at one time, Men's health rated toledo water in the top 12 nationwide.

Also - Aquafina has numerous bottling plants across the nation. The closest, the one we get ours from is in Detroit. They get their water from the Detroit river.

You make the choice.

posted by billy at 07:16 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

But to the original question - would a water bar fly in toledo??

Oh hell no.

Now another question - Would anyone be surprised if Carty opened one up in the ESM?

posted by billy at 07:18 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

billy: interesting article but I think it left out something important dissolved minerals. Back in WV I drank bottled water a lot because the tap water was VERY hard, no matter what house I was in. To much sulfur from the mines and calcium.

Anyway, I still drink bottled water, and picked up a Brita filter for my home so it filters tap water. While some of the people seem pretty extreme, I can agree tap is more or less as good as bottled. Just some tap water tastes a bit off if there are to many dissolved minerals. Luckily Toledo water is pretty good.

As for the original question, there isn't enough money to sustain a place like that here.

posted by jshriver at 09:38 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

Like GZ said, bottled water is bad for the environment. Here are two things you can quickly do to help stop global warming: Become a vegetarian and do not purchase bottled water.

And as stated elsewhere, many bottled water companies get their water from the city and run it through additional filtering systems. Get your own pitcher with a filter, fill it with tap water, store it in the frig, and fill your own bottle when you need it. It's the environmentally-friendly thing to do.

Besides, a water bar in Toledo would get outlawed the same way smoking was outlawed because Water Kills. Remember the petition drive to ban dihydrogen monoxide?

---- start ----

The dangers of dihydrogen monoxide include:

* Also called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain;
* Contributes to the greenhouse effect;
* Contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape;
* Accelerates corrosion and breakdown of electrical equipment;
* Excessive ingestion may cause various unpleasant effects, including death;
* Prolonged contact with its solid form results in severe tissue damage;
* Inhalation, even in small quantities, may cause death;
* Its gaseous form may cause severe burns;
* It has been found in the tumors of terminal cancer patients;
* Withdrawal by those addicted to the substance causes certain death within 168 hours;

Despite the danger, DHMO is often used:

* Used in many forms of cruel animal research;
* The US Navy has a secret distribution network for DHMO;
* Lakes and rivers all over the world are contaminated with DHMO;
* In the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical;
* As an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products;
* Known to be a component of a number of cancer-causing agents

Nevertheless, governments and corporations continue using it widely, heedless of its grave dangers

---- end ----

Let's not forget that water is also the breeding ground for millions of deadly, West Nile-carrying mosquitoes. Thank goodness the city is still fogging us with that chemical machine. We're also lucky that our area is in a moderate drought.

So why would Toledo open a business that promotes a menace like water after outlawing smoking?

posted by jr at 09:40 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

There's no proof one way or another, but Ive got a gang of pals who I call 'bottle Babys', they drink nothing but bottled water.

Bottled water doesnt have flouride in it, toledo's tap water does. this gang runs from the late 20's to the early 50's. 4 out of 5 of them had cavities their last dental exam...

Water related, who knows? but I havent had a cavity for years...

posted by billy at 09:41 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

No I don't think it would work. Hell our one brewery only does "ok," and beer bars eventually collapse like Ragtime Ricks or do so-so like Daddy-Oh's. Even a good wine bar is hard to find.

I do find this surprising though. Toledo has a host of restaurants and is somewhat eclectic. Yet we can't compete with moderate sized cities in MI when it comes to breweries, wineries, and bars that cater to those types of crowds.

posted by taliesin52 at 11:24 A.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

There's a sucker born every minute.

Think it's a coincidence that the threads on top of a bottle of water match a garden hose? LOL

posted by JeepMaker at 01:53 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

Evian spelled backwards is NAIVE.
posted by starling02 at 01:56 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

Billy, I recall seeing a report somewhere saying there had been an increase in cavities because of the increase of drinking bottled water. So you're probably spot on with that thought.
posted by OhioKat at 08:37 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

LOL
posted by Darkseid at 08:38 P.M. EST on Tue Jul 17, 2007     #

Along the lines of something already posted.

This is interesting about a certain water contaminant:

posted by charlatan at 12:32 A.M. EST on Wed Jul 18, 2007     #

My son showed me the information about how dentists are seeing a lot more cavities now, than ever before & they blame it on all the bottled water, because bottled water doesn't have any floride (sp) in it.
posted by starling02 at 06:44 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 18, 2007     #

actually, most dentists are concerned about colas and pops because of the sugar and acid in them. Kids don't brush their teeth after drinking them, leaving the sugar and acid 'coating' the teeth. The Toledo Dental Society has taken a stand against pop machines in schools because of this issue.
posted by MaggieThurber at 07:06 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 18, 2007     #

Dentists opposed to pop machines in schools? That doesn't make any sense because they'd be hurting their own business.
posted by jr at 09:46 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 18, 2007     #

I agree soda is bad for teeth (was told Mountain Dew is the worst, but don't know why that'd be). So are raisins horrible for teeth. But they started putting floride in the water for a reason, and bottled water has none. There are kids out there that never drink tap water, thus, no floride.
posted by starling02 at 11:17 P.M. EST on Wed Jul 18, 2007     #

There are kids out there that never drink tap water...

Do you really think so? I find this amazing as I couldn't conceive of not drinking tap water...Besides, who could afford to drink bottled water all the time???

(please note that I'm not questioning you, starling, but the parents who'd go to such extremes...)

posted by MaggieThurber at 08:04 A.M. EST on Thu Jul 19, 2007     #

jr - stranger things have been known to happen...
posted by MaggieThurber at 08:04 A.M. EST on Thu Jul 19, 2007     #

Besides, who could afford to drink bottled water all the time???

Oh Maggie, I know people who'd never dream of drinking tap water - they cringe at even rinsing their mouth after brushing their teeth, and are grossed out by the little water sprayer thingie that the dentist uses to rinse out your mouth during a cleaning and what all!

They train their kids not to use drinking fountains as strongly as they train them not to talk to strangers. (I might jump on board that wagon myself tho... but this debate is tap water vs bottled water, not about public drinking fountains)

That's how far hooked they are on the bottled water hype. It's either seriously sad, or seriously funny.

These same people are also very very 'green' - ignorant of how bad bottled water is for the envrionment...

posted by billy at 09:37 A.M. EST on Thu Jul 19, 2007     #

billy - I think that's scary...

But I was taught not to use public drinking fountains because of the potential germs if you touched it...sick people using it just before you, that kind of thing. And I admit to purchasing bottled water when out and about - but not for use in my house...and it's only because I choose water over pop...

I was talking about this thread with my husband and he related a story from his youth. On Sundays, after he and a friend finished delivering the paper, they'd stop at the house of an older neighbor for breakfast. One day, the neighbor said to them: if you want to get in something to make money, I have just one word for you - water. He went on to elaborate that he meant bottled water like people drink sodas. They, of course, thought he was nuts - who would pay for water in a bottle when you can get it out of the tap for 'free'?

Guess he knew what he was talking about...too bad they didn't listen - we could be millionaires by now...lol

posted by MaggieThurber at 10:43 A.M. EST on Thu Jul 19, 2007     #

<< Older Voinovich: Administration "fucked ...    |    The Glass City - movie shot in toledo! Newer >>

This is an old topic and is no longer allowing comments.

home | about | archives | customize | contact | forums | post | search