ACLU in Craig's stall...er, corner

Craig entitled to his privacy, ACLU argues
Star Tribune.com ^ | Associated Press

In an effort to help Idaho Sen. Larry Craig, the American Civil Liberties Union is arguing that people who have sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy.

Craig is asking the Minnesota Court of Appeals to let him withdraw his guilty plea from a bathroom sex sting at the Minneapolis airport. The ACLU filed a brief supporting the Idaho Republican.

The ACLU wrote that a Minnesota Supreme Court ruling 38 years ago found that people who have sex in closed stalls in public restrooms "have a reasonable expectation of privacy."

created by Darkseid on Jan 27, 2008 at 04:19:12 am     Comments: 14

Does anyone else see the contradiction here?

"..sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy"

posted by FatBabe44 on Jan 27, 2008 at 11:37:39 am     #

Yeah...sorta like how private property has now been redefined as a public place in this country. The ACLU only defends pervs, nazis, and anti-christians anyway.

posted by Darkseid on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:06:29 pm     #

I wonder if that means that commodes must have doors on them at all times, or urinals must have stalls with locking door now.

posted by oldsendbrdy on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:10:45 pm     #

I don't want to know who would even consider the exchange of bodily fluids with another person in a toilet stall either. GROSS!

posted by FatBabe44 on Jan 27, 2008 at 03:42:46 pm     #

The ACLU defends the constitution, not the pervs nazis, and anti-christians. I wish they did a better job of defending it from our elected officals.
And there is no redefining of private property as public if you are talking about the waterfront, its always been public trust land. I do agree if you are talking about the swiping of people's land as the city did for the Jeep plant. If the supreme court ever reverts from nazi status it will reverse that decision or otherwise deal with it.
What would we do without our politicians.

I think we should hire some honest system administrators and let them run the country from a users manual for democracy. :-)

posted by prime3end on Jan 27, 2008 at 08:39:48 pm     #

The ACLU is SELECTIVE about what cases they take. Show me one where they've defended a christian, anything to do with traditional values, hell, they won't even represent smokers rights or private property rights. It's only and always secular progressive crap. They DO have an agenda now, regardless of how nobly they started.

posted by Darkseid on Jan 28, 2008 at 11:25:11 am     #

I'd just like to point out that besides Larry Craig, the ACLU did file an amicus ("friend of the court") brief in support of Rush Limbaugh when he was charged with doctor shopping to get drugs for his addiction to prescription medications. Not that this thrice-divorced recovering drug addict who is currently dating a 31 year old has much to do with traditional values....

posted by Ace_Face on Jan 28, 2008 at 03:24:12 pm     #

It does seem that the ACLU only defends the left side, but here are two instances where the ACLU has defended an individual's right to religious expression in schools:

These are just the ones they wrote press releases about.

I'm no attorney (luckily), but it seems that they're OK with allowing for an individual's right to religious expression. When it's a public institution that imposes religion, then they go after the institution (and get a lot more media attention).

For the record, I think the ACLU's on the wrong side of this case. If two people are having sex in an airport restroom stall and the door flies open, can they sue the airport and/or the stall door manufacturer? I'd be fine with keeping the sex out of the public restroom, thank you very much.

posted by Rodney on Jan 28, 2008 at 04:09:26 pm     #

How about when they defended Westboro Baptist?

posted by Chris99 on Jan 28, 2008 at 05:06:45 pm     #

Show me one where they've defended a christian

I'm willing to bet Larry Craig, Rush Limbaugh, and Oliver North all consider themselves 'Christian.'

And while I personally feel bathroom sex is...inappropriate at best...isn't it really homosexual bathroom sex that really has everyone all hot and bothered?

If a guy and a girl were caught doing it in a stall, you'd be selling tickets at the door and doing a brisk business.

posted by McCaskey on Jan 29, 2008 at 12:27:05 am     #

You're right, asskey, fuck it, nothing is private any more, so let's just

posted by Darkseid on Jan 29, 2008 at 01:53:25 am     #

allow all forms of sex or 'free expression' anywhere, including parks. Oh, well, at least they're not smoking.

posted by Darkseid on Jan 29, 2008 at 01:54:46 am     #

Look, in a public bathroom stall, 99 percent of us are taking our pants down, right? Or at least opening them up. And 98.9999* percent of us are doing the, errr, normal thing that you'd do in there.

And frankly, I don't want any quibbling about my privacy while I pee at Friendly's or the airport or the mall or -- god forbid -- a gas station just because there is some objection to other, more icky-yucky stuff one might do in a bathroom stall.

It's either private or it's not in those stalls. As someone who dislikes public bathrooms but on occasion REALLY needs to use one, I say private! Or what's next? Legalizing upshot web cams and stuff?

(*Granted, I totally made that stat up. But you get what I'm saying. I hope.)

posted by jmleong on Jan 29, 2008 at 02:36:59 am     #

You're right, asskey, fuck it, nothing is private any more, so let's just

I'll bet they'd even defend your your right to make such....'Christian'...statements like this, LOL. Since when have your actions, at least on here, been anything remotely 'Christian' like?

posted by McCaskey on Jan 29, 2008 at 07:35:49 am     #