Jun 11, 2007 BusinessWeek
Google and Yahoo!
- Jul 8, 2007 Improving Google's Social Network
- Jul 8, 2007 Mosh, Yahoo’s New Social Network Initiative
Socialstream Background Research
- Gender: Men prefer entertainment while women prefer to focus on connections.
- Age: Older users want something productive while younger users want something social.
- Strength of Online Relationships: The Internet supports acquaintance relationships much better than close friendships.
Social Networking Theory
- Similarity and interests become more important online than physical proximity
- Social network usage is contagious. People join on a single suggestion, but require more motivation to continue use.
- The connections listed in any single online service are incomplete.
- Simple connections do not mirror the complex nature of real relationships.
- Individual sites frequently address multiple purposes, such as business (jobs, networking, and projects), dating (relationships, love, and sex), and personal (sharing, maintaining, and establishing).
- Sites differ in the type of content and amount of shared personal material.
- Sites vary in their level of focus on making new connections and/or maintaining connections.
- Sites tend to emphasize connection over expression, while market successes can be found in varying positions.
Summary of the Negative Attributes
- Arbitrary limitations due to marketing plan or business model
- Interface, clutter of information, unappealing appearance, or slow load time
- Lack of flexible search
- Presenting information not linked to interests or contacts
- Too much or too little control over permissions and data
- Lengthy registration requirements
Summary of Positive Attributes
- Presentation of relevant/local information, solicited or not
- Quick registration followed by optional checklist of tasks
- Summarized and customizable security information, privacy control
- Integration with other sites; Consolidation when it leads to ease of use
- Broad range of features presented in an unobtrusive manner
- Singular, well implemented, and specific purpose