Telephone scammers are up to their old tricks again

Received a call today from 412-385-9058 from a lady asking me to tell her my blood pressure and heart rate. I responded "First you tell me yours and then I'll tell you mine." at that point she hung up. Checking that number online I learned the call came from McKeesport, PA.

created by flinty on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:06:53 am     Comments: 5

She called me. I didn't know my blood pressure, so I gave her my social security number. She seemed fine with that.

posted by justread on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:51:44 am     #   5 people liked this

Just got an "Unknown Name" on my cell phone, which I always send to voicemail. The number was 419-930-4254 and a google search tells me it was one of those, "can you hear me?" type scams. They do tend to come in waves...

posted by idinspired on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:59:51 am     #

The only real scam with the "can you hear me now scam" is the existence of the can you hear me now scam and our media's greater concern for getting headlines than reporting facts.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:47:28 pm     #   1 person liked this

I would have said " Tell me what you're wearing and maybe we can get my heart rate up a bit!"

posted by shamrock44 on Mar 14, 2017 at 01:59:37 pm     #   1 person liked this

This was in today's paper in Columbus: On the Do Not Call list but still getting calls? Here’s why

From the article:
Columbus has been among the top cities for sending out robocalls because the city is home to a large number of telemarketing companies. The most recent statistics indicate that the area has more than 3,300 telemarketing workers, 97 percent more than would be expected in a region this size, said Columbus economist Bill LaFayette, owner of the consulting firm Regionomics.

So I guess the government can either eliminate a significant number of minimum wage jobs (and add to the unemployment statistics, and eventually the welfare statistics), or the FTC can continue to field complaints that they don't really give a rat's ass about. I'm betting that the FTC clerks answering the phone are also minimum wage slaves.

posted by madjack on Mar 14, 2017 at 04:05:58 pm     #