Leave it to T-town

Toledo is the most dangerous place in the state. WooHoo! Yee Ha!

created by golddustwoman on Mar 14, 2017 at 06:11:55 pm     Comments: 12

When I read "info" bundled and presented as "stats n' facts" I always ask myself, "does this directly affect me?". Toledo is as safe as you want it to be. I wonder how much of this crap thrive in neighborhoods that "encourage" crime, blight, ect based its dwellers/ citizens in their specific block/area. My point is, the statistic isn't much of a surprise...and just as important, where you live, work, shop, ect matters pertaining to most stats.

posted by dino on Mar 14, 2017 at 08:41:39 pm     #   2 people liked this

Can we compare Toledo to the actual dangerous cities? Because I moved back to Toledo from Chicago about 9 months ago and I can tell you... first hand... we saw some bad things in Chicago. That place is scary, and it's only 4 hours away. This is relative. We have it really really good in Toledo, clickbait stories aside. Fuck that shit.

posted by upso on Mar 14, 2017 at 08:49:55 pm     #   12 people liked this

Toledo is smaller than Cleveland, Cinci. and Columbus yet we received higher scores then them in the crime rate? Is it the proximity to Detroit that makes our city the worst in the state? I find it interesting and kind of shocking at the same time. Either way, it is not positive PR for this Hell hole.

posted by golddustwoman on Mar 14, 2017 at 09:17:18 pm     #

1. it's not a hell hole
2. if we don't post/share it, it's not PR
3. consider moving

posted by upso on Mar 14, 2017 at 09:39:55 pm     #   12 people liked this

Asked a police friend, he said because we aren't a huge city our police are active throughout and able to make more arrests. And that larger cities actually have entire areas that police really don't bother with "minor felonies" because they are spread to thin. Thus it easily skews the data. FWIW.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Mar 14, 2017 at 09:52:21 pm     #   2 people liked this

I'm stunned that WalletHub didn't produce this ranking.

posted by jr on Mar 14, 2017 at 10:35:39 pm     #   5 people liked this

Filter out the crimes of our elected officials and we're pretty much Mayberry.

posted by JoeyGee on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:02:21 pm     #   5 people liked this

upso posted at 09:49:55 PM on Mar 14, 2017:

Yeah, but Chicago is like Toledo in that it's not like whole city is unsafe. If you are on north side, you are fine. South side not so much. Friction points are neighborhoods "in transition" i.e. Humboldt Park. There at least it's because the neighborhoods are gentrifying. Here it's because they are declining.

posted by Ace_Face on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:17:38 pm     #

If you think living in city firmly run by the Dems with a population of 275,000 is bad you don’t know nuthin’ til you’ve lived in a city 10x that size that is under the control of the Dems. That’s when you see the really scary stuff! I mean…. really scary! We’re talking Southside scary!
Amen!

UPSO’s # 3 point is rock solid. CONSIDER MOVING! Take it from someone who procrastinated a decade too long before exiting. Move! Research with your eyes and your own fearless, rational honesty. The internet is helpful but only to a point. Ask yourself “What’s really happening in Toledo?” “Will there ever be an elected leadership in Toledo representative of my family and our interest?” “Is there truly anything I can do to improve the city or would I be wasting my time enabling a dysfunctional government that could be spent contributing to a fruitful society elsewhere?” Those are personal questions that nagged me for too long.

Don’t flee to what you fled and don’t wait until you reach an age where moving is too much of a hassle and you can’t get out every day and enjoy all that this short life has to offer.

When they’re on their game… truly “on their game” San Marco’s is still the shit though.

posted by Danneskjold on Mar 15, 2017 at 01:51:17 am     #   2 people liked this

"I won't fly with you Maverick, you're dangerous. That's right Iceman, I am dangerous." It's all those little old lady social security recipients out stealing hub caps at night that get under my skin. The little bad boy wannabe's could all be swept up in two week-ends.

posted by Mariner on Mar 15, 2017 at 05:46:16 am     #

upso posted at 09:49:55 PM on Mar 14, 2017:

I don't really think of msn.com as "click bait." I don't know if it's really a legit news site, but it's not click bait.

I do consider Toledo dangerous, because I have personally been affected by crime within the city limits. So, I said "fuck that shit" and moved.

This, in my opinion, is a well-deserved honor for the city.

posted by dell_diva on Mar 15, 2017 at 12:04:06 pm     #

To me, being affected by crime "within the city limits" doesn't automatically mean a city is dangerous. If someone broke into my car in Perrysburg, I wouldn't fear for my safety strolling down Louisiana Ave. after dark.

posted by Ace_Face on Mar 15, 2017 at 12:46:03 pm     #   3 people liked this