Who's up for the Snowflake Test?

The 'Snowflake Test' is part of a job interview and is causing quite a stir in some segments of society. It seems that some job applicants believe the test questions to be a bit brusque and should serve as a trigger warning. Or something.

Here's the original snowflake test as written by Kyle S. Reyes. Being of dubious mind and decrepit body (and bored enough to get sucked into this thing), I took the test and posted my results on Mad Jack's Shack, where you can read them or not as you please.

Meanwhile, here are the test questions.

1. Outside of standard benefits, what benefits should a company offer employees?
2. What should the national minimum wage be?
3. How many sick days should be given to employees?
4. How often should employees get raises?
5. How do you feel about guns?
6. What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
7. What are your feelings about safe spaces in challenging work environments?
8. In a creative environment like The Silent Partner Marketing, what do you envision work attire looking like?
9. Should “trigger warnings” be issued before we release content for clients or the company that might be considered “controversial”?
10. How do you feel about police?
11. If you owned the company and were to find out that a client is operating unethically but was a high paying client…how would you handle it?
12. When was the last time you cried and why?
13. You arrive at an event for work and there’s a major celebrity you’ve always wanted to meet. What happens next?
14. What’s your favorite kind of adult beverage?
15. What’s the best way to communicate with clients?
16. What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
17. What are your thoughts on the current college environment as it pertains to a future workforce?
18. What’s your typical breakfast?
19. What’s your favorite drink when you go to a coffeehouse?
20. How do you handle bullies?
21. How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down?
22. What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it sucks?
23. What does the first amendment mean to you?
24. What does faith mean to you?
25. Who is your role model and why?
26. “You’re in Starbucks with two friends. Someone runs in and says someone is coming in with a gun in 15 seconds to shoot patrons. They offer you a gun. Do you take it? What do you do next?”
27. What does America mean to you?
28. You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
29. What does “privilege” mean to you?
30. What’s more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?

I really am curious to see the results, especially from - ah, I'm not going to say it.

Happy Easter to everyone!

created by madjack on Apr 15, 2017 at 11:45:37 am     Business     Comments: 30

Fun being called a snowflake by folks who are too terrified to walk into a Kroger without needing a gun strapped to their thigh.

posted by SensorG on Apr 15, 2017 at 12:52:42 pm     #   13 people liked this

posted by justareviewer on Apr 15, 2017 at 01:22:59 pm     #

Interesting test.

1) Whatever they feel will attract quality customers. Nothing beyond a safe and fair working environment should be required.

2) Zero. IF you want a minimum wage it should be exclusively a state decision. A dollar in Kentucky goes a heck of a lot farther than a dollar in California.

3) Whatever the employer wants to give. Attractive benefits mean better recruiting and retention, so some sick time should be given, but if an employer wants to run their own business into the ground it should be their right.

4) See my answer to #3.

5) Possession is a right, but not an absolute one. Carry one if you want, I don't care. Businesses and homeowners should be allowed to restrict what people bring onto their property and certain locations such as courthouses should probably prohibit it.

6) It is up to the business owner. I certainly wouldn't feel unsafe about it. Guns are tools, not evil incarnate.

7) Safe spaces are ridiculous. They lead to think skin, an inability to deal with "the real world," and in may cases they're leading to re-segregation. To be successful in life you have to deal with jackasses. When appropriate tell them they're wrong. But don't hide from things you don't like.

8) Business attire (suits for men) for management and all client contact positions. Possibly business casual (polo and khakis/slacks) for internal positions such as IT, mail room, etc.

9) No. See my answer on safe spaces.

10) I work with them on a daily basis and have for decades. While no one is infallible and they have one of the most difficult jobs in the world, I believe they generally want to help people and generally do a great job. As in all things, exceptions exist, but the police get the benefit of the doubt from me every time.

11) It would depend on the issue. If it is something that would reflect on our company, such as getting us to publicize false claims, they would be confronted and if things didn't change they'd be gone. Our company's reputation matters and we could lose more clients in the long run if we stuck with them.

12) Yesh that's personal. At a stupid and sappy dog video on Facebook about a month after we put our dog down.

13) I do my job. If an opportunity to say hello happens organically I'd do so but I'd never do something to embarrass myself or my employer.

14) Craft beer.

15) In person unless they prefer something else (email, phone, text)

16) Play video games, often with my son.

17) While some studies have suggested that due to fewer quality jobs being available, most millennial college graduates tend to be harder working than previous generations, that has not been my experience. I also worry about the safe spaces/trigger warning mentality. That said like everything, people are individuals and need to be judged as such.

18) I work 3rd shift and get up around lunch time, so I generally eat lunch type foods such as a sandwich. I am a big fan of breakfast foods for dinner however.

19) Soda. Hot tea barring that. I dislike coffee.

20) I do not tolerate them.

21) I defend my ideas, but if the're shot down then I move on. In most things there can be more than one right way to do something, and If my ideas are truly that great or the "only way" to do something, then the boss/group will see that eventually.

22) Be honest without being insulting. Explain why it may not work or why something else may work better.

23) In regards to speech/expression you are protected from government interference (aside from excepted situations such as shouting "fire" in a theater, etc). That does not mean you are protected from repercussions outside of the government or that you are protected from the employer. If the boss doesn't want you saying something stupid, they can do something about it. If you say something stupid, don't be surprised if people choose not to do business with you. In other words, you can say any offensive thing you want, but don't be surprised if you get fired or lose money because of it.

24) It is quite important to me. I should be allowed to speak about it freely (at least when I'm not on the boss's clock) .

25) My father. He worked hard and that sometimes meant he wasn't around a lot. I wasn't a fan of this as a kid of course. However as an adult I see that he was doing what he had to to take care of his family and give his kids a better future.

26) Take it. Have a friend call the police while trying to evacuate the room through a rear entrance. If we don't all get out through the back door I'll defend the lives of myself or innocents. I'm proficient and trained with a gun, I'll do what I have to if forced to.

27) It is the greatest country in history. No it is not perfect, no government is, but we confront our problems openly and strive to do better. The world would be a less peaceful and less free place if it wasn't for the US.

28) Be offended, and if safe (ie they're not anarchists), tell them so. While I detest flag desecration, I do see it as protected political speech. The person stepping on the flag usually ends up saying more about themselves than than the country through their actions anyhow.

29) Some people start with more or better opportunities than others. It may stink, but life isn't fair.

30) I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive. That said you can teach book smarts whereas street smarts tends to be more inherent.

posted by taliesin52 on Apr 15, 2017 at 01:27:37 pm     #   1 person liked this

Employees, not customers in my #1 answer.

posted by taliesin52 on Apr 15, 2017 at 01:28:39 pm     #

SensorG posted at 12:52:42 PM on Apr 15, 2017:

So who's calling you a snowflake? Because it sure as hell isn't me.

posted by madjack on Apr 15, 2017 at 03:35:02 pm     #

My answers are based on my previous lives of owning businesses, having employees, working for myself and now being a part of corporate America. I am sure I would answer differently on a weekly basis as life is constantly changing my opinion on things...

1. A company should offer benefits based on what they can afford and what their competitors are offering. Free food may sound excessive but if you’re competing with google, free food is required.
2. It should be a state decision.
3. Sick days should be flexible and not come out of PTO. As long as the employee is getting their work done, an employer shouldn’t be super concerned about this.
4. Raises should be merit and experience based.
5. I love guns. I own several and don’t shoot them enough. If the NRA wasn’t so right wing I would be a member.
6. Employees should not carry tools not related to their jobs. If they are security, cool. If not, no. As for clients? That’s not my place to decide.
7. Safe spaces are great for those that need or want them. If an employer wants to stay competitive, they need to understand they live in a world where this concept now exists.
8. When I work from home I still put on a dress shirt for group video chats. When I show up for meetings at the office I wear a sport coat to show respect to my coworkers. When I am working by myself, I am often half naked.
9. Trigger warnings are useful based on your audience. You should always take into consideration who you are talking to. Not being concerned about offending or upsetting those around you is a dick move.
10. I love the police. One of my favorite bands. Also COPS is my favorite tv show.
11. While it’s always about the bottom line, if it doesn’t affect payroll, I would get rid of the client.
12. I only ever cry at movies, and I watch a lot of movies.
13. I would walk up and say hi to the celebrity.
14. Vodka.
15. In person meetings.
16. Hang out in my yard and number 14 above.
17. I am almost 40 and unsure what the current college environment is, but I have worked with and employed millennials. Some are great and some are really really awful.
18. Eggs, sausage and some sort of carb.
19. Iced coffee.
20. I bully them back way harder.
21. I move on to better ideas.
22. I offer a better idea. If I can’t, I suggest someone else should.
23. It means you can say whatever you want but doesn’t mean there won’t be repercussions.
24. I respect other’s beliefs but it means nothing to me.
25. I don’t have any.
26. I grab the gun and then run to lock the door.
27. Freedom.
28. Let them, but depending on context see #23.
29. It’s something I am constantly conscious of. Everyone is dealt a different deck of cards in life and by no accomplishment of mine I was dealt a great hand. I consider that as I interact with others.
30. Street smarts. Books can’t kill you.

posted by upso on Apr 15, 2017 at 04:36:56 pm     #   2 people liked this

For the most part, the questions are asking "Just how right wing are you?"

posted by MariaL on Apr 15, 2017 at 05:23:39 pm     #   5 people liked this

SensorG posted at 12:52:42 PM on Apr 15, 2017:

If they have a gun strapped to their thigh, they might be the armored car driver. Besides, have you heard the stories about the Kroger? Oy veh.

posted by justread on Apr 15, 2017 at 05:49:06 pm     #   1 person liked this

MariaL posted at 05:23:39 PM on Apr 15, 2017:

For the most part, the questions are asking "Just how right wing are you?"

I was thinking the same thing

posted by upso on Apr 15, 2017 at 06:15:35 pm     #

Have worked very hard and diligently to perfect my psychological pathologies and they are mine and mine alone to dispense with at my own volition.

posted by Mariner on Apr 16, 2017 at 08:49:00 am     #   1 person liked this

upso posted at 06:15:35 PM on Apr 15, 2017:
MariaL posted at 05:23:39 PM on Apr 15, 2017:

For the most part, the questions are asking "Just how right wing are you?"

I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking it was too long.

posted by justread on Apr 16, 2017 at 10:38:26 am     #   3 people liked this

Mariner posted at 08:49:00 AM on Apr 16, 2017:

So, in other words, none of your damn' business?

posted by madjack on Apr 16, 2017 at 07:02:43 pm     #   1 person liked this

MariaL posted at 05:23:39 PM on Apr 15, 2017:

For the most part, the questions are asking "Just how right wing are you?"

I was thinking that it was just the reverse.

I had to look up safe space, and I'm still not sure I got the definition other people are thinking of. Here's an article that explains a lot, from Harvard no less: Tackling the Term: What is a Safe Space? By Katherine Ho on January 30, 2017.

Is this what other people think a safe space is supposed to be? And what, exactly, is a micro-aggression ?

I'm starting to feel old.

posted by madjack on Apr 16, 2017 at 07:10:25 pm     #   2 people liked this

A microaggression is the subtle proof that you're a big fat (and possibly unintentional ) bigot.

Some examples from the Univ of Minnesota's website:

"Where are you from?" when spoken to a person of a different race

"America is a melting pot" When claiming you're colorblind

"I'm not racist, I have several black friends."

"Why do you have to be so loud?" When asked of a black person

"That's gay." "I've been gypped!" "I jewed him down in price" "She welshed on the deal."

There are also "environmental microaggressions" such as a university naming all of its buildings after rich white men.

posted by taliesin52 on Apr 16, 2017 at 10:41:14 pm     #   1 person liked this

Annual wellness exam.
2. What should the national minimum wage be?
$3.35 plus inflation since 1982
3. How many sick days should be given to employees?
None. Combine the time off.
4. How often should employees get raises?
When is the last time the company made a profit?
5. How do you feel about guns?
I feel better about an HK than I do a High Point.
6. What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
If they are carrying a nicer gun than me, I feel kind of jealous.
7. What are your feelings about safe spaces in challenging work environments?
I think any interior room with no windows should be good for a tornado.
Khakis and man buns
No. Trigger warnings can trigger some people.
10. How do you feel about police?
Which one? Solleks or the guy in Woodville who shoots dogs?
I would cry.
12. When was the last time you cried and why?
Oh dam. Now you got me.
I had a job once where I met a lot of famous people. It wore off.
14. What’s your favorite kind of adult beverage?
Glass of whiskey
15. What’s the best way to communicate with clients?
Face to face
16. What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
boating or chores. They often look the same
Are you trying to make me cry again?
18. What’s your typical breakfast?
Raisin Bran and a piece of toast or the two-egg splurge
19. What’s your favorite drink when you go to a coffeehouse?
Coffee
20. How do you handle bullies?
I hit the biggest one as hard as I can. Usually prevents having to fight the rest
21. How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down?
depends on the final net cost of the shooting
22. What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it sucks?
I usually remind them of a really good idea they recently had and then suggest that this ain't one of those.
23. What does the first amendment mean to you?
It means the amendments are about to get good.
24. What does faith mean to you?
That some people have found a way to be happier on earth by believing in some things they can't prove, yet somehow know
25. Who is your role model and why?
My Dad. Because his courage is matched only by his wisdom
I pass on an unfamiliar gun from a stranger and find cover. Should the need and opportunity present, I'd prefer my own weapon.
27. What does America mean to you?
Possibility
28. You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
I would be likely to share disapproving thoughts.
29. What does “privilege” mean to you?
It's like a right, but with limited availability
30. What’s more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?
Street smarts. Because there is always time for book learning in jail.

posted by justread on Apr 17, 2017 at 06:47:52 am     #   3 people liked this

justread just won ToledoTalk.

posted by JoeyGee on Apr 17, 2017 at 08:26:25 am     #

oooo. This feels like fun.

Whatever the market and law dictates. Also, if they want to attract the best candidates, they PROBABLY need to be a place to work that offers better than the bare minimum, but whatev.

2. What should the national minimum wage be?
That's a tough one- and I don't think it's necessarily one I have the expertise for. My immediate gut-check reaction is that all jobs should maintain a standard wage that, at full time, would be above the federal poverty levels. But that doesn't take into account inflation, regional differences, blah blah blah. It also is overly simplistic in terms of an answer and fails to adequately reflect the difficulties of making a national rule about wages that are by nature disparate across the country.

3. How many sick days should be given to employees?
Unlimited. "lol but people will abuse that" no shit, sherlock. That's what performance reviews and doctors office notes are for.

4. How often should employees get raises?
Annual cost-of-living adjustments should be standard for most companies, and annual performance increases as merited (with quarterly performance reviews informally at a minimum so people aren't blindsided).

5. How do you feel about guns?
Guns? Meh. Whatev. They exist. Gun owners are usually fine, too. Does that matter?

6. What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
Depends on the environment. I can tell you that in every office I've ever worked in, there was always "that one guy" that NO ONE would have wanted to be carrying a gun.

7. What are your feelings about safe spaces in challenging work environments?
Like... a comfy couch on an oil rig? Or do you mean sort of like an HR department that takes tangible steps to keep sexual and racial harassment minimized? I mean, I like comfy couches.

Seriously? Are you my mommy? Since when does my attire affect my output?

OH WAIT - more importantly - am I client facing? If so, what does the client expect or care about? If I'm not, fuck off.

If we are releasing content that might, you know, trigger PTSD in a rape victim or a person recently discharged from the military, then MAAAAYBE we want to warn them, you know, as a responsible decent group of citizens? Does that REALLY bother you to do so? I mean, do I need a trigger warning for trigger warnings so that people who get offended by the idea of giving a heads-up to people who might need it don't get offended? (I had to reread that 3 times in order to get the grammar right, btw, so someone better have read it)

10. How do you feel about police?
Invaluable to the safety of a community.
Absolutely in need of improvements.
Always there when you don't want them to be.
Some of them are really great people. Some of them are real assholes. Most of them are in between.

Can you give me a specific example? I mean, in general, drop em like a hot potato, but I don't know if you're saying "they lied about their CEO getting her mom a birthday card" or "they intentionally allowed a defect in their car to exist that was responsible for deaths".

12. When was the last time you cried and why?
Really cried? Seeing Deafheaven at the Shelter from about 10 feet away. Tears in my eyes through most of the set. Also, got kicked in the head a lot.

Depends on what I'm there for. If I'm intended to network and talk a lot, I try to figure out who can intro me and have a quick convo if it doesn't seem intrusive. Otherwise, I gawk from the sidelines like a normal plebe.

14. What’s your favorite kind of adult beverage?
I'm really partial to good bourbons and ryes... but.... beer too. Beer is really good. And wine. I like wine. OH! And scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch scotch.

15. What’s the best way to communicate with clients?
In their preferred methods.

16. What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Answer Myspace Surveys.

Depends on the job. Doctors, for example? Fucking rocking. Scientists and researchers? Depends on the school, but mostly awesome. Engineers? Same. I dunno, what are you looking for? Like, a blanket condemnation of liberal arts or something? One of the directors here has an MFA in creative writing, should I stop respecting her abilities?

18. What’s your typical breakfast?
Homemade bread and almond / cashew butter. Or whatever's laying around - boiled eggs, leftover oatmeal, frosted flakes.

19. What’s your favorite drink when you go to a coffeehouse?
Coffee. Preferably pourover of fresh beans. Sometimes espresso.

20. How do you handle bullies?
Are there bullies in this office I should know about that you haven't fired?

21. How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down?
Move on. I have lots of terrible ideas.

22. What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it sucks?
Depends on the coworker relationship. Probably game it out and see if I'm wrong first, and hopefully they see they're wrong. OR there are a billion nice ways of redirecting an idea without being a total asshole. You know.

23. What does the first amendment mean to you?
I tend to be a Jeffersonian Separatist.

24. What does faith mean to you?
fāTH / noun
1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction;
2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"

25. Who is your role model and why?
My mom, my dad, my brothers, my wife, my kids, my friends, and my neighbors.

Because everyone has something to teach me.

Wait. I have 15 seconds? I get everyone the fuck out of the building. There's a back door. I do NOT take the gun, because I'm completely untrained and unlikely to use it effectively in an emergency situation.

27. What does America mean to you?
It's a collection of 50 states and a shitload of people.

28. You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
Context? I mean, was it painted on a football field or on the uniform of an NFL player? Probably busy cheering my Ravens on and drinking a beer. Why?

29. What does “privilege” mean to you?
priv·i·legeˈ/ priv(ə)lij/

noun
1. a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
"education is a right, not a privilege"
synonyms: advantage, benefit; More

verb / formal
1. grant a privilege or privileges to.
"English inheritance law privileged the eldest son"

30. What’s more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?
The fact that you ask that question tells me everything I needed to know. I can outsmart you in both.

posted by endcycle on Apr 17, 2017 at 08:47:45 am     #   2 people liked this

I like EndCycle's response, but I also like JustRead's. I think JustRead kind of edged everyone out on the police question; Sollecks or the guy in Woodville.

I'm somewhat disappointed (but I'll get over it... somehow) that SensorG, JR, and HistoryMike didn't respond. I've met all three men and would consider them to be valuable employees. If I were in business and they worked for me, that is.

posted by madjack on Apr 17, 2017 at 06:41:19 pm     #

I would think proffering such a "test" would be handy for the prospective employee as well. I know I'd like to know up front that the company CEO is a douchebag instead of having to wait until I work there to find out.

Also:

posted by Ace_Face on Apr 18, 2017 at 11:18:45 am     #   6 people liked this

Triggered.

posted by justread on Apr 18, 2017 at 01:28:05 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread: How many sick days should be given to employees?
None. Combine the time off.

Can I just say that this is my biggest pet peeve of all time. I am in a position now where we have vacation and sick leave accrued by the hour. However, I'm one of the lucky people that doesn't get too severely sick and maybe take 1 or 2 days in entire year (knock on wood).

So....with a clear conscience I can schedule out vacations and vacation time...but if I want to take advantage of the time off that I have earned -- but has accrued as "sick days" -- I have to skulk around the city like I'm doing something wrong and looking over my shoulder in case someone sees me.

I've got 3 weeks (and counting) of sick time hours accrued. I hate taking a day off here and a day off there because it doesn't go well with how I work. If I want time off, I want a week or extended weekend to come back refreshed (and not feel guilty).

Sick leave is an outdated concept, unless a company would bag it as a "break glass in case of emergency" type of benefit. "Hey, if you have major surgery and need to be out for __ days in a row, you can activate the 14-day "medical leave". Otherwise...give me the time in vacation days and be done with it.

That's just me. I know others have different needs (kids being sick makes it a "sick day" for you, but not a vacation). Maybe employees should be offered the choice somehow? I don't know...

posted by oldhometown on Apr 18, 2017 at 05:25:58 pm     #

oldhometown posted at 05:25:58 PM on Apr 18, 2017:

justread: How many sick days should be given to employees?
None. Combine the time off.

Ok. I want to change my answer to: A lot. And separate from vacation. And cap vacation at 8 weeks carryover because I don't want people feeling guilty for taking it.

posted by justread on Apr 18, 2017 at 07:19:24 pm     #

Oh jeezus...I was agreeing with you. Give people 10 or 15 days and make it combined sick/vacation.

And the guilt? Well if people can be fired for posting on Twitter on a sick day nowadays, yeah I'm a bit concerned about being found out if I take a "sick day" and someone sees me sunning my whale like carcass out by the pool that day.

posted by oldhometown on Apr 19, 2017 at 03:51:59 am     #   1 person liked this

Mad Jack - I read your answers - run for Mayor dude! Seriously!

The question is too broad to be answered properly.
The acquiring a valuable skill, especially a skill that not everyone has increases the likelihood of placing oneself in the most advantageous negotiating position and reduce the risk of having to work in a situation where one feels undercompensated. That said, I favor a 401K, some form of health care and earned vacation time.

2. What should the national minimum wage be?
This should be a State issue.

3. How many sick days should be given to employees?
None. I trade my time and skill for my employer’s currency. Imagine hiring an individual to mow your lawn who calls you on the day your lawn is to be mowed and pushes it back a day because he is sick. Later you receive his bill charging you for the day he was sick and the day he mowed. Unless you are willing to pay this man for his sick day you should not expect an employer to pay you repeatedly for yours.

3. How often should employees get raises? The more value an employee adds through his position the more he or she should be paid. If an employee stays at the same skill level never providing more or less value it would not be unreasonable for them to earn a cost of living increase possibly tied into inflation only.

5. How do you feel about guns?
A man or woman who values their own life enough to responsibly train and prepare to protect it is more moral (IMO) than the man or woman who condemns the right of personal protection but is perfectly at ease believing another man (policeman) should be willing to risk their own life to protect them.

6. What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
If an individual has gone through training and passed the necessary background checks to obtain a CCW I have no objection.

7. What are your feelings about safe spaces in challenging work environments?
Uh… no…

I don’t know enough about this Silent Partner Marketing thing and I’m a little too tired to research it.

No, this is nonsense.

10. How do you feel about police?
Overall – positive. I think we would do better as a society if we concentrated our effort on reducing our need to be policed rather than scrutinizing our enforcers.

Under most circumstances my arrangement with a client is to trade my service for their currency not to compare my ethical standards vs. theirs. That said, if I found out they were “Cat Juggling” I might consider that too egregious to continue the relationship.

12. When was the last time you cried and why?
Can’t remember - probably something that touched me in a movie. It likely wasn’t long ago. No hang-ups here.

I’m not into celebrities but let’s say Bob Dylan is there. Given the opportunity I would try to politely thank him for his work and the enjoyment it has given me and then try to allow him “normal human privacy.”

14. What’s your favorite kind of adult beverage?
Pho broth…. I don’t drink.

15. What’s the best way to communicate with clients?
Someone else mentioned it above. The best way to communicate with a client is “their preferred method.”

16. What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Besides the deeper answer such as quality time with family and friends I would have to say a good day usually involves some good music, some food I can appreciate and trying to live reasonably healthy. My free time often involves these elements.

Go to Trade school.

18. What’s your typical breakfast? –
6 days a week a high fiber, often organic wheat cereal with skim milk. One day a week – eggs.

19. What’s your favorite drink when you go to a coffeehouse? Double shot of espresso straight up – sometimes a quad.

20. How do you handle bullies? – After deleting a two paragraph answer I’ll summarize- Years ago when bullied I made sure a person never wanted to fight me again win or lose.

21. How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down? Depends on the situation. I like when I am wrong strange as that sounds.

22. What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it sucks?
Depends on the person and their confidence. I can’t think of a situation where I would discourage them from continuing to bring new ideas though.

23. What does the first amendment mean to you?
It is probably the most important tool in our collective tool box. The more we deny or restrict it the greater chance that the really bad shit starts happening.

24. What does faith mean to you?
Belief.

25. Who is your role model and why? Different people inspire me in different ways so I do not have a role mode per se but I try to recall admirable traits of people I admire - especially when I need them. My Father’s compassion, my Brother’s generosity, my Mother’s zest for life, my Wife’s patience….

This is not a question I feel comfortable answering on social media. I value my life – I’ll leave it at that.

27. What does America mean to you? We are a very young country. Fabulously prosperous and kind. Truly a beacon. One of the least racist countries that provides the most opportunity and protection for its minorities and it's majority. We’ve overcome our errors through sacrifice. We are tremendously overscrutinzed and misrepresented. If America ever falls the light goes out for a very long time.

28. You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
I allow it – I do not respect that individual but I accept their right to do it.

29. What does “privilege” mean to you?
In the modern sense I consider it a word meant to agitate. It is an effort to pull down individuals of accomplishment rather than simply propel oneself through personal effort and exhaustion. It’s a simple but ineffective elixir people use who usually have low self-esteem and want to drag you down too.

30. What’s more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?
A combination of the two. The more I experience life from all angles the more I understand complex issues. Books are essential to obtaining an often informative view but they are often the authors view. I can read all of the fiscally conservative articles available about minimum wage but having worked a part time minimum wage paying job with great individuals while retired I gained a different perspective. Also, having been an employer I see a perspective I will not read in progressive articles. Street smarts (aka experience) combined with book sense is tough to beat.

posted by Danneskjold on Apr 19, 2017 at 03:57:21 am     #

oldhometown posted at 03:51:59 AM on Apr 19, 2017:

Oh. I may have skimmed because it was long and I was post glass of whiskey. :)

posted by justread on Apr 19, 2017 at 05:39:22 am     #

My employer just embraced this concept - personal , vacation and sick days are now just "days off" - no reason needed. No reason to skulk about the city or next to the pool feeling guilty.

It's a beautiful thing.

posted by Foodie on Apr 19, 2017 at 09:48:07 am     #   2 people liked this

Stealing Sensor G's comment about Snowflakes above. The most perfect comment of all.... Thanks!

posted by golddustwoman on Apr 19, 2017 at 10:02:41 am     #

Run for mayor? Me? I'd be okay until some snowflake ran her stupid mouth for the third time in as many minutes - then she'd start crying for her safe space and two milligrams of Xanax.

How many sick days should be given to employees?

I worked for a company that allowed unlimited sick time for salaried employees. You didn't need a doctor's note or anything; if you were sick, you stayed home. Likewise, if there was something you had to get done during the day, you were allowed to take the time off and deal with it.

The last year I worked for this company, a few employees abused the benefit to the point were it was ridiculous. My boss was one of the worst offenders, and it got to the point where the rest of us were wondering if he still worked here. So the company cut the benefit to 8 or 10 days, then defined a full day as over four hours. The afternoons tended to be a little vacant.

I think it's worth noting that vacation time at that company sucked pond scum. I, and practically everyone else, worked so that we could provide for ourselves and our families. Work wasn't fun; it wasn't even rewarding. Work was work, and if they ever get around to hanging the jerk who invented it, I want a front row seat. One reason I work is so that I can afford time away from work. In one fairly recent study (don't ask me to look up the source and cite it) employers found, much to their shock and chagrin, that employees would cheerfully forego a raise or promotion for additional vacation days. Imagine that!

Me, I'd rather be independently wealthy.

posted by madjack on Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02:39 am     #

How many sick days should be given to employees?

The variety of responses to this question are interesting. I currently work at a place where we accrue it, but we're penalized for taking it. Not sure if any of you ever read the Ask A Manager blog, but I appreciate her take on the subject. Penalizing for sick time or giving incentives for not taking it are both bad policies for employers. Both lead to people coming into work sick and potentially infecting others. For most of us, that's probably just an inconvenience. But it can be life-threatening for those who have compromised immune systems.

As for whether or not it should be paid, I feel confident that if my husband had been given the opportunity to take paid sick time for doctor's appointments, he would probably still be alive today. When you're trying to keep some breathing room in your bank account and a doctor's appointment costs $60 and a half day's wages, it's not difficult to convince yourself you'll be OK if you just give it time.

posted by valbee on Apr 19, 2017 at 12:00:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

Hear ya valbee. There is such a thing as being too tough minded with yourself. Doesn't seem short sighted at the time. Life is too short as it is. Good post.

posted by Mariner on Apr 19, 2017 at 12:18:01 pm     #   1 person liked this