Old West End Festival 2017

GREETINGS!
Warm weather is (almost?) here, and festival season is upon us!
I'm going to (as usual) paraphrase myself from previous year's festival posts:

The biggest (and in my opinion best) neighborhood festival is coming! June 2nd, 3rd & 4th...

Here is a FB page, to keep tabs on:

We also have all of the information posted here:

The Toledo City Paper is once again stepping up as a huge media sponsor, and we've also got BCSN and Yark Auto on board for sponsoring the parade.

We're expanding the food, music and beer offerings in the arboretum and once again are doing Friday night programingl. Tons of food vendors near the Glass Pavilion, art fair, vendors, yard sales and don't forget saturday's parade!

Festival starts next Friday, June 2nd in the Arboretum. Our full lineup of entertainment and beer taps for the beer garden can be found here in the "about" section:

Hope you all can come!

We're having a "pre" festival fundraiser for the Wamba parade this weekend at the Attic. Come on out and help us kick of this crazy time of the year!

created by upso on May 26, 2017 at 10:51:52 am     Comments: 37

source      versions      1 person liked this

Thanks for posting the info. The owe festival is one of my fav Toledo events. Hope the weather is nice

posted by jamesteroh on May 26, 2017 at 04:29:02 pm     #   2 people liked this

Looking like it's going to be in the 70's with a low chance or rain, but I feel like no matter what, every year, we get a few sprinkles here and there. :)

posted by upso on May 26, 2017 at 05:02:31 pm     #

One of these years, I will plan ahead enough to really crap up my golf cart. As it is, I always just have a pirate flag and a clown horn.

posted by gamegrrl on May 26, 2017 at 10:50:31 pm     #

sounds good to me!

posted by upso on May 26, 2017 at 10:53:19 pm     #   1 person liked this

gamegrrl posted at 11:50:31 PM on May 26, 2017:

Pirate flag and a clown horn?

The Tootie Booty.

posted by justread on May 27, 2017 at 05:00:26 am     #   1 person liked this

Hahahahahahahaha! Nailed it, man.

posted by gamegrrl on May 27, 2017 at 04:25:52 pm     #

Only a week out and finally an official event page you can share with your friends: https://www.facebook.com/events/1477976172269674

posted by upso on May 28, 2017 at 05:44:07 pm     #

They always seem to have rain every year. Hopefully not this year. I'd love to ride my bike to the art museum and park it there and walk over. I wish they had bike parking

posted by jamesteroh on May 29, 2017 at 05:55:28 pm     #

Looking ahead, weather-wise, the extended forecast looks fine. I wish our temps were always like this.

Toledo Weather Forecast - Last Update: Sun, May 29, 2017 at 6:27 pm:

Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 71.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.

posted by jr on May 29, 2017 at 06:49:35 pm     #

Awesome!

posted by upso on May 30, 2017 at 05:07:09 am     #

Weather forecast doesn't sound good. Hope they are wrong.

posted by classylady on May 31, 2017 at 10:49:47 pm     #

Weather.com is telling me 80 and sunny Friday and Saturday... I'll take it!

posted by upso on Jun 01, 2017 at 07:14:02 am     #

The forecast for this weekend calls for comfortable temps with a small chance for showers and maybe a little thunder, especially early Sunday morning. A wash-out is not forecast.

From the Cleveland National Weather Service : Toledo Forecast - Last Update: Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:21 am EDT

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 77. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning.

Friday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 77. Light and variable wind becoming south around 6 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 9am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Excerpts from the Area Forecast Discussion, issued by the Cle NWS on Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:49 a.m. EDT:

.short term /6 pm this evening through sunday night/...

as the upper level ridge shifts over the area today the upper level low near james bay will drift into new england. an upper level short wave will rotate around the low across the eastern lakes friday morning.

right now appears whatever limited precip there will be will be confined to extreme ne oh and nw pa. for now will just continue with chance pops.

timing of the next system a little slower than ydy. low pressure system moves into the western lakes late saturday with precip holding off across forecast area until late in the day.

best chance of precip continues to be saturday night into sunday.

low forecast to track across eastern lake erie on sunday.

posted by jr on Jun 01, 2017 at 07:55:41 am     #

Sounds good for Saturday at least.

If I bike there is the art museum my best bet for parking my bike?

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 01, 2017 at 10:25:33 am     #

I'd recommend parking your bike at the Art Museum and walking. There are a lot of artists/vendors with tents set up across the street on the Monroe street side and you can check out their area and then walk the various streets. A lot of people that drive park at the Art Museum.

I believe black kite has a place to lock bikes in front of their shop but not sure how many bikes it can accommodate. I amnot aware of any other bike parking.

posted by classylady on Jun 01, 2017 at 12:57:37 pm     #

Looks like the weather is going to be nicer than they predicted on the news yesterday for Saturday. I love the house tours. Nice break from walking around.

And for those that have mobility problems there are golf carts to transport you to the various houses.

posted by classylady on Jun 01, 2017 at 01:30:51 pm     #   1 person liked this

I have biked to Black Kite before and can't remember if they had one of those inverted U shaped poles or if I had to lock it to a street light. The two times I have biked to Bike Kite there were other bikes parked there and I remember it was kind of a pain. Bike will probably be a lot safer at the Art Museum. If I drive I'll park there anyway.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 01, 2017 at 03:03:53 pm     #

James, you can park at my house if you like. I have a bike rack in the back yard. I will PM you my # and you can decide if you'd like to take advantage or not. Also yes, I believe they have one of the Arts Commission bike racks at Black Kite.

posted by upso on Jun 01, 2017 at 04:15:15 pm     #   1 person liked this

I may drive to the museum and get my bike out and ride it to upso's house. :D

posted by justread on Jun 01, 2017 at 04:49:15 pm     #   1 person liked this

Love the Sunday forecast, from above:

posted by gamegrrl on Jun 01, 2017 at 05:04:42 pm     #   1 person liked this

Oh, and our golf cart was delivered today. Imagine my delight at finding that it has a blinky amber light mounted to its roof! And there's no off switch: If the cart is on, the light is blinkin'. Perfect addition to the Tootie Booty, don't you think, justread? LOL!

posted by gamegrrl on Jun 01, 2017 at 05:07:14 pm     #

Doesn't sound stealthy. Take something to throw over it in case people think you are security. Or, alternatively, in case you have to evade security.

posted by justread on Jun 01, 2017 at 06:27:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 05:49:15 PM on Jun 01, 2017:

I may drive to the museum and get my bike out and ride it to upso's house. :D

DO IT

posted by upso on Jun 01, 2017 at 09:24:26 pm     #

We need a secret signal/handshake/logo so that we can silently identify other TTers at events such as this...

posted by gamegrrl on Jun 01, 2017 at 09:41:37 pm     #

Thanks Upso! I agree with gamegrrl, should come up with some way to identify ourselves to others as TTers:) Does Toledo talk ever do meet ups?

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 01, 2017 at 10:04:53 pm     #

gamegrrl posted at 10:41:37 PM on Jun 01, 2017:

I think she means for people who are not driving a golf cart with a pirate flag and a yellow flashing light on top. :D

posted by justread on Jun 02, 2017 at 05:35:28 am     #

Not too shabby for the first weekend of the summer season.

Toledo Forecast - Last Update: Jun 2, 2017 5:47 am

Today: Sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Sunday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80. Southwest wind 10 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

hazardous weather outlook
national weather service cleveland oh
507 am edt fri jun 2 2017

isolated strong to severe thunderstorms are possible sunday afternoon and evening. the greatest threat will be from damaging winds and large hail.

posted by jr on Jun 02, 2017 at 07:12:31 am     #

It's come to my attention that the golf cart pirate flag may be MIA. I am distressed.

justread: You always crack me up :-)

posted by gamegrrl on Jun 02, 2017 at 11:10:54 am     #

You make me smile. So we're even. :)

posted by justread on Jun 03, 2017 at 08:22:10 am     #   1 person liked this

jamesteroh posted at 11:04:53 PM on Jun 01, 2017:

No, TT never does meet ups. You really want to come face-to-face with some of these people, especially when they're sober?

Last time a few of us tried something like that HistoryMike went a little funny, you know, funny, and busted the place up.

I've already got enough places where they won't let me back in.

posted by madjack on Jun 03, 2017 at 09:19:26 am     #

gamegrrl posted at 10:41:37 PM on Jun 01, 2017:

Get some downtown gang members to design Toledo Talk users a special gang sign and some colors or something.

Failing that, JR might get a logo of some sort and sell Tee shirts with the logo and Toledo Talk on it. How about it JR?

posted by madjack on Jun 03, 2017 at 09:24:00 am     #

madjack posted at 10:19:26 AM on Jun 03, 2017:
jamesteroh posted at 11:04:53 PM on Jun 01, 2017:

I've already got enough places where they won't let me back in.

I assumed that was why you moved. :)

posted by justread on Jun 03, 2017 at 12:41:24 pm     #

"Failing that, JR might get a logo of some sort and sell Tee shirts with the logo and Toledo Talk on it."

This was suggested two years ago at this time, a few days before the OWE Festival.

June 3, 2015 comments:

• this is all really really really weird - (by upso)
  • Sounds like a good t-shirt design idea.
  • And just in time for the OWE Festival!
    • "Toledo - This Is All Really Really Really Weird"
  • i wonder if i can get jupmode to print these for the weekend?
  • The idea of walking around and seeing someone wearing a t-shirt referencing a Toledo Talk in joke... this feels like reddit all of a sudden.

For a t-shirt, my suggestion would be no mention of "Toledo" nor "Toledo Talk". No logo. Use upso's original the text in lowercase with no punctuation.

this is all really really really weird

I would choose a boring dark grey text on a grey background. But maybe find or create an interesting font.

Nova Oval

Modern Antiqua

posted by jr on Jun 04, 2017 at 11:55:16 am     #   2 people liked this

:) good to see you out jr. sorry i wasn't around to chat more!

posted by upso on Jun 04, 2017 at 04:27:55 pm     #   1 person liked this

You were tad bit busy.

In recent years, the OWE Festival has become one of our favorite weekends of the year. Thanks to all who make the event possible.

posted by jr on Jun 05, 2017 at 05:34:00 am     #   1 person liked this

sadly, i saw little of the festival this year... missed the parade and the house parties and even the tours... but from what others have said these were great again this year. but what is the feeling about the artist booths this year ?!

i got to the sylvania main st festival late sunday morning and the OWE festival sunday early afternoon... i don't know if many artists left after saturday but it was disappointing to me that both by in large lacked fine art... painting, glass, and sculpture... and were dominated by craft works. and the number of people using computer programs and manipulating photographic images with surreal colors is a bit unsettling ... have many artists just decided their one trip to toledo is going to be crosby or the UT show.

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jun 07, 2017 at 09:41:46 am     #

I made a video of my festival, for those that missed out. https://youtu.be/jsoPQgZNR7U

posted by upso on Jun 07, 2017 at 10:23:35 am     #   2 people liked this