IHeartMedia replaces 'Morning Rush' show on 92.5

It is sad that iHeartMedia replaced the top rated (for their demographic) radio show with one produced in Michigan. They promoted a lot of local businesses, and always made it seem as though you were talking with one of your neighbors.

So - they took a show, built it to a #1 position and were still let go? How is that the right thing to do??

created by mennell on Jun 09, 2017 at 08:48:11 am     Entertainment     Comments: 21

I'm sure it was a business decision. Less and less people are listening to traditional radio as things like podcasts and XM radio grow. It's the same with over the air Tv vs. Netflix etc...

posted by upso on Jun 09, 2017 at 09:04:20 am     #   1 person liked this

iheart/Clear channel has been pushing syndication for years as cost savings. Look for local stations to poach some of these on air personalities, which is usually only short term at best. Probably only a matter of time before Mr. Sands replaces his own show with syndication. Surprised that sports personalities arn't already centralized like traffic reporters. It gets old hearing people mispronounce Toledo street names....

posted by presbacon on Jun 09, 2017 at 10:36:43 am     #   1 person liked this

I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to terrestrial radio. Satellite has everything I could want to listen to, crystal clear from coast to coast. If satellite doesn't have it, I'm sure I can get it on my phone.

It's just a sign of the times, for better or worse.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 09, 2017 at 11:37:49 am     #   1 person liked this

I don't remember the last time I listened to local radio either. Prefer Pandora. Last time was probably over a year ago when traffic was backed up to listen to a traffic report but with Waze now that it warns me of traffic congrestion and gives me the best route

posted by classylady on Jun 09, 2017 at 11:50:59 am     #   1 person liked this

JoeyGee posted at 12:37:49 PM on Jun 09, 2017:

It's just a sign of the times, for better or worse.

Satellite has everything I want to listen to also, in theory. Unfortunately, they play the same 25 songs over and over.

posted by justread on Jun 09, 2017 at 11:52:27 am     #   2 people liked this

Yeah, what he said. I tried sat-radio and gave up on it. All they do is play a 1 hour loop constantly. I used to turn it on during lunch, then realized that the same song was playing at high noon every day.

posted by madjack on Jun 09, 2017 at 12:37:28 pm     #   1 person liked this

Sounds like you're limiting yourselves to what stations you listen to. The favorites on my satellite radio are such a variety that it's rare I hear anything multiple times in a day. Let's face it, Ozzy's Boneyard and 40s Junction aren't going to have any duplication. But both have a time and place in my house/car. :)

posted by valbee on Jun 09, 2017 at 01:21:21 pm     #

I don't get a lot of duplicates, either, but I do skip around between presets.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 09, 2017 at 02:07:21 pm     #

valbee posted at 02:21:21 PM on Jun 09, 2017:

I gave it ten years. Apparently my recall is too good. I learned the playlist on every channel. At the end of 10 years, I could predict the next song on any channel with a 75% accuracy.

You are correct though. The 20 songs on Ozzy's Boneyard are different than the 20 songs on the 40s channel.

posted by justread on Jun 09, 2017 at 02:12:18 pm     #

Your satellite experience has not been my experience at all. I'm both grateful and sad for that. (Sad because I'd love to hear a few songs more often on 40s Junction--they remind me of my mom.)

posted by valbee on Jun 09, 2017 at 02:44:48 pm     #

I find that I hear the same artist on multiple channels at the same time, even if it's different songs.

Tonight I was flipping through stations and 3 were playing the Stylistics. Different songs, but same artist all at once. It had been a long time since I caught any of their songs on satellite, so it seemed odd for them to be on 3 channels at once.

I've had it happen with other random artists too, but that was just tonight's example off the top of my head.

posted by mom2 on Jun 09, 2017 at 10:07:03 pm     #

posted by mom2 on Jun 09, 2017 at 10:07:05 pm     #

valbee posted at 03:44:48 PM on Jun 09, 2017:

My mom listened to Barry Manilow and Donna Summer. :( Thankfully I have a few photos.

posted by justread on Jun 10, 2017 at 01:25:14 am     #

I love music, tech, and am currently in the process of updating my car stereo so I'll share a few thoughts. I abandoned terrestrial (FM) radio in 2002 when I got a new car and satellite radio. When I first listened, I thought the scope of channels and commercial-free music was amazing. Like FM radio once did, it introduced me to a lot of new artists and types of music I wouldn't ordinarily have found. I'm still listening to satellite now because I have a lifetime subscription and have been slow to update, but there are a couple major issues with it that made me want to see what else is out there.

If you have an older Sirius unit, you probably know the sound quality is crap. It sounds like a low bitrate mp3 file - super compressed, tinny sound. Online sources said it could be as low as 32kbs. For comparison, a 'good' quality mp3 is 256-320kbs. CD files are 1411kbs. Allegedly, Sirius originally needed to compress their music to send all that data down from the satellites. This may have improved with technology. People say if you have an XM brand unit or a newer SiriusXM co-branded one (since they merged years back), the sound is infinitely better.

I echo the sentiment about hearing the same songs over and over. On certain channels - probably most of them - and especially during the daytime, many playlists are very limited and simply rotated. The programmers update the playlists maybe every week or two. This is similar programming to what an FM pop station would do... 20-30 'hit' singles in heavy rotation mixed with random older hits. This would be okay, except it caters to the masses and that defeats the purpose of specialized radio. If you can't stand half of the artists on a channel, it's hard to listen to more than a couple songs in a row. I find myself skipping around channels constantly because there are no good ones. For example, I like alternative and indie rock, but think most of the stuff SiriusXM plays on channel 36 (Alt Nation) is terrible. Channel 35 is the deeper indie stuff and has more variety. Same for their dance and electronic channels unless they're doing a special show hour.

I looked around for alternatives. Apparently, most new stereos come with cell phone integration (apple & android audio). This lets you hook your phone into it and play whatever you want. Log into online services like Pandora, Slacker, Spotify, and hit play. Put your entire music collection on an SD card, USB or external hard drive and hit shuffle. The listener has become the DJ. I may remove my satellite antenna entirely, or keep it to compare sound quality.

posted by mixman on Jun 11, 2017 at 02:06:38 pm     #

Slight change of subject but the competition is tanking too.

posted by Molsonator on Jun 11, 2017 at 03:43:38 pm     #

It is sad to read all the negativity here towards terrestrial, local radio.

posted by oldhometown on Jun 11, 2017 at 11:24:43 pm     #

I really enjoy listening to local radio. I had satellite radio for a few years, but after a while - it wasn't worth it. I now use SD cards in the car for music during roadtrips, and switch around to different local shows when I get bored. I'm moving in the next two weeks to KY, so this isn't affecting me too much - but it is sad that local radio is getting phased out even more.

posted by mennell on Jun 12, 2017 at 07:06:00 am     #

While waiting to get my car stereo installed, complete with all the new online streaming services, I ironically discovered a cool local FM channel. 97.7 is all oldies - sounded like about 1955-1970; everything from Buddy Holly to The Rolling Stones - and is broadcast out of Springfield High School. It's low wattage so may not go very far. Aside from station plugs, I don't think I heard a single commercial. Whoever does the programming is doing a fine job... interesting mix of classic tunes.

posted by mixman on Jul 17, 2017 at 02:25:30 pm     #

Discovered that station about a month or so. Really like the programming and lack of commercials. At work they switched to that station over from the awful pop country station we've been forced to listen to

posted by steve155 on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:31:19 am     #   1 person liked this

Another good school station is 107.9. It's from Bedford High School and whoever their adviser is or whoever is doing their programming is doing a great job. I discovered them at Christmas and they were playing some holiday music that 101.5 wouldn't even touch. It's a classic rock format but they thrown in some jazz into the mix as well.

posted by daddyg on Jul 18, 2017 at 03:21:10 pm     #

I like 97.7 as well. Its a format you wont find anymore. Im 46 and I love 50/60s music. I wonder if 20 yrs from now if any of that music will be found anywhere in pop culture. Its already starting to fade away.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 19, 2017 at 08:13:37 am     #