Downtown projects progress and questions/discussion

-Its been a couple of years now.....anyone heard or know of plans or progress on the proposed small entertainment venue that is to be opened next to the Huntington Center? Havent heard so much as a peep about it. Seems like it took a backseat to Hensville.

-Any whispers as to a potential plan for a major renovation to the Seagate Centre? I know a study was conducted with renovations being recommended, with the spotlight being on adding a ballroom. Anything more?

- Has the Park Hotel announced any renovations? Golly, I imagine it could use some....we need that place to be at its best.

-Fort Industry Square.....am I missing something? How has this block been largely ignored? Would seem to be a huge target for revitalization, given the location.

-any other rumors or grumblings?

created by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 10:09:46 am     Comments: 22

What I've heard.

1. Assume you are talking about the old Key Bank building. The Mudhens were looking at some kind of music hall for concerts. I've heard the idea was scrapped due to costs.

2. The county received multiple proposals for the Hotel Seagate. My understanding is they were intending to award the development to Karp & Associates, but maybe they couldn't reach terms.

3. Do you mean the Park Hotel or the PArk Inn? The Park Inn is owned by a developer from China (I believe). The last I heard, he was unwilling to sell the building. It's too bad because it's grossly underutilized. The Park Hotel was purchased by PRomedica. They are probably in the planning stages of the rehab.

4. Fort Industry Square - Also bought by Promedica. The rumor is Promedica solicited development proposals from various local and regional developers and selected a Michigan developer to move forward with. That was early this year. Probably still working through what the real plan will be.

posted by slowsol on Jun 15, 2017 at 11:48:17 am     #

1. Curious to find out what the alternative plans are for the old KeyBank building. Id be surprised to see it just sit there empty. FWIW, nothing in the local paper regarding scrapped plans, not that really means anything.

3. I meant the Park Inn. It IS waaay underutilized. But thanks for bringing up the Park Hotel. Forgot about that one.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:32:31 pm     #

IMO, what downtown Toledo is seriously missing from its mix is a small concert venue. Something between the size of the Huntington Center and a large bar. A place that can attract national up and comers and/or those with large regional followings. The reason I feel its critical is this: downtown needs events (in addition to hockey and baseball) to attract people and generate foot traffic and a buzz. Throw in a concert venue that can add a show or two a week, year round, and you have a great engine for further growth.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:37:35 pm     #   1 person liked this

I think that was the Mudhens intent with the Key Bank Building.

posted by slowsol on Jun 15, 2017 at 02:18:52 pm     #

IIRC, that was going to be much smaller than what I was envisioning above. The KeyBank Bldg project was going to have a lower seating capacity and not really set up for rock concerts.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 03:27:54 pm     #

There already was a small concert venue in Downtown Toledo. It was called Promenade Park. Had the stage and all. Bill Clinton had one of his campaign rallies there. I guess since it's gone there really wasn't a need for this type of facility.

posted by kritter on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:53:45 am     #

I believe BulldogBuckeye is referring more to the likes of the old Asylum/Club Bijou. Some great national acts played there, the size was perfect for the level of band that would play Toledo over Detroit.

posted by idinspired on Jun 16, 2017 at 07:54:25 am     #   3 people liked this

idinspired posted at 08:54:25 AM on Jun 16, 2017:

Where ARE they holding Battle of the Bands in Toledo these days?

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2017 at 09:08:58 am     #

There was a battle of the bands being held at Hollywood Casino yesterday

posted by Hoops on Jun 16, 2017 at 09:30:06 am     #

"-Again....any whispers about what in the hell they are going to do with the old hotel on the corner of Jefferson and Summit thats half demolished?"

Yeah, I'm really curious about this one too. It's been an eyesore for a while now. :(

posted by endcycle on Jun 16, 2017 at 11:41:59 am     #

I thought it was going to be redeveloped into condos?

posted by upso on Jun 16, 2017 at 11:52:38 am     #

Probably waiting for enough speeding ticket revenue to roll in.

posted by Foodie on Jun 16, 2017 at 11:54:54 am     #

The county has been (or at least were, as of a couple weeks back) in talks with an area hotel operator for the Hotel Seagate, but each have had some demands that the other was unwilling to meet. I don't know if they're still negotiating, or deemed any of those sticking points to be deal breakers. I know Prater was also part of the mix of people wanting the building, but I don't know if he still is.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:00:39 pm     #

Plate I is identified as a participating in DORA per the flyer. I thought it was supposed to be a coffee shop?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 17, 2017 at 07:37:50 pm     #   1 person liked this

Bumping - someone mentioned in the Easy Street Thread That Won't Ever Die that there was going to be an announcement soon, and the rumor is Seagate will fly the Hilton flag.

Any other updates?

posted by endcycle on Nov 15, 2017 at 02:47:34 pm     #

@ckbeats21 Plate 1 is a coffee shop but she has a liquor license and is probably going to serve alcohol as well. Some Starbucks serve wine at happy hours in bigger cities so this could be the same concept. She told me she is planning on being open for games and concerts and that crowd will probably prefer alcohol over coffee.

posted by classylady on Nov 15, 2017 at 03:10:39 pm     #

Let me remind you that the Irish have an affinity for alcohol With coffee. ☘ ☘ ☘

posted by Mariner on Nov 15, 2017 at 03:35:40 pm     #

ckbeats21 posted at 07:37:50 PM on Jun 17, 2017:

It was always described as a coffeehouse and said it would have cocktails from the onset.

This is good, because I don't think you can get a mixed drink at Black Cloister.

posted by justread on Nov 15, 2017 at 03:41:37 pm     #

Mariner posted at 03:35:40 PM on Nov 15, 2017:

Well, then Laddie, call me MacDougal - and be quick with the Irish Coffee please.

posted by Foodie on Nov 15, 2017 at 03:43:29 pm     #

This article from 2012 somehow popped up as I was reading the Blade online. I hadnt heard of these plans, and since the buildings remain empty (i believe), I wonder if there was any update?

Plans unveiled for historic buildings
Mich. firm outlines strategies for downtown's Spitzer, Nicholas

BY CLAUDIA BOYD-BARRETT | BLADE STAFF WRITER
Published on Feb. 20, 2012 | Updated 12:18 p. m.

A Michigan-based company has grand plans for two historic buildings in downtown Toledo.

Ojibway Development LLC of Berkley, Mich., has a contract to purchase the landmark Spitzer Building and its cousin the Nicholas Building at Madison and Huron streets. Bruce Michael, company co-owner, said he wants to renovate the properties, turning the Spitzer Building into a mix of office, retail, and apartment units and the Nicholas Building into an “artist community” where creative people would live, work, and display their wares.

It’s not the first time development strategies for the buildings and other downtown landmarks have been unveiled, many times only to get stuck in a state of limbo. Ojibway Development must wait for foreclosure proceedings against the building’s current owner — a San Francisco private equity firm owned by Koray Ergur — to be complete so it can follow through with the purchase.

Cont'd: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/02/20/Plans-unveiled-for-historic-buildings-1.print

posted by swampprof on Nov 16, 2017 at 11:40:36 am     #

Googling on that developer provides some interesting results.

posted by slowsol on Nov 16, 2017 at 02:03:33 pm     #