I-75/ I-280 split. Heads up

What they are calling a "lane shift" is also a "lane switch." Yesterday I went through there and the lanes were the same but the overhead signs had reversed the lane assignments. I-280 was no longer to the left, and I-75 was no longer to the right. That was just the signs though. The roads hadn't changed. Ha ha. Funny trick. You should have seen people all over the place. I've never seen such a mess. Traffic came to a stop as people jumped back and forth trying to figure out where in the hell ODOT was telling them to go.

I guess this morning they actually changed the LANES so that they match the signs. Probably a good idea.

Just know that it is much more than a lane "shift." It's totally different and the lane assignments are reversed, not "shifted." Coming out from under the speed trap at Ottawa River Road and into the big curve to the west, I-280 traffic is now the right side of the road, and I-75 is the left.

Be careful out there.

created by justread on Jul 16, 2017 at 09:59:03 am     Other     Comments: 20

source      versions      1 person liked this

posted by odnation on Jul 16, 2017 at 11:31:19 am     #

TPD should get some illegal lane change cameras out there to make some quick money, errr, promote safety.

posted by JohnnyMac on Jul 16, 2017 at 11:32:11 am     #   6 people liked this

Whoa thanks for the heads up! That's a nightmare!

posted by upso on Jul 16, 2017 at 12:21:18 pm     #

It is indeed! Went through it this am on the way to La Paloma. It is very confusing and will definitely take some getting used to for those familiar with the previous configuration. The most confusing thing is all of the signage advising you to KEEP RIGHT for I-280 South. If you do, you suddenly run out of lane without warning. I said to my SO there are going to be accidents galore through here. Sure enough, on the way home 15 minutes later there was a pile up that had traffic backed up well into MI.
For those entering I-75 via Ottawa River Rd that want to get to I-280 SB, get in and stay in the middle lane - NOT the right lane as the signage advises.

posted by Foodie on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:25:26 pm     #

Thanks for the heads up!

posted by reggie on Jul 17, 2017 at 05:59:35 am     #

Signage has been added alerting you to the fact that the right lane ends. However, you may not see that signage since the traffic - many, many semi trucks - can block your view. Navigating the traffic this am through this area was a slow crawl. Problem is if I avoid the X-way and try to take Suder to Manhattan then Manhattan to the I-280 entrance - which, I'm not even sure is open - I most likely encounter trains blocking Manhattan.
Very much reminds me of the old saying "You can't hardly get there from here."
It's a mess.

posted by Foodie on Jul 17, 2017 at 08:47:18 am     #

on a related note......The Blade, in many instances in the past, does an awful job of trying to explain traffic changes only thru text and maybe a lame graphic. Its 2017....take some pictures and add some symbols and wordage (like above). Makes it only about 200 times easier to understand.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 17, 2017 at 09:09:23 am     #

I-75 to I-280 Interchange Correction Animation - YouTube

posted by User436 on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:00:34 am     #

Thanks for the forewarning; helped my commute this morning but there is a MAJOR lack of signage on this change.

posted by not_me on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:01:36 am     #

I thought the government had the beltway in Columbus FUBAR, but this shit makes the beltway look like an empty four lane breezeway. There must be a special kind of imbeciles running the show in the old gravel pit.

posted by madjack on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:10:22 am     #

It's all your fault madjack. Since you left town the swirly tempo has increased. At least we have new found money to pay for our own funeral.

posted by Mariner on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:25:15 am     #   2 people liked this

We were coming home from the drive in Saturday night/Sunday morning (2:00 am), heading S on 280 to 75 S. That ramp was closed so we had to take 75 N to Ottawa River, do a U-Turn, and get back on to 75 S. They had just put barrels up, and what a mess. We were the 2nd car in a long line of cars doing this. All of a sudden, the far right lane we were in was being led into the wall/barricade by the barrels on the left side. The car in front of me had to drive through the barrels into (what was really a non-lane) to keep from smashing. I didn't realize what he was doing until I got to that point, and was like "What the hell...?!!?!" Since the lane we were now in, was not really a lane, we then had to back in between the barrels to the right lane once again, or smash head on into all of the equipment. There were workers running toward us (in the non-lane) waving their arms and a glance in my rearview mirror showed all of the cars behind us swerving in and out of those barrels. It was crazy! If I hadn't been so tired (and if it wasn't so far out of the way to get off and then get back on), I would've done it all over again just to see WTF I had just driven through. Someone messed up on those barrels big time!

posted by llz on Jul 17, 2017 at 12:50:26 pm     #

I didnt travel thru it this weekend...but I can tell you......both north and southbound I-75 at the 280 split, offered no disasters and was easily navigatable.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 18, 2017 at 09:48:30 am     #

****on my commute yesterday and today.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 18, 2017 at 09:49:10 am     #

I drive thru that interchange every morning, no problems here. Just pay attention to the new lanes and merging patterns.

posted by Hoops on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:15:51 am     #

What time of day do you traverse this route? I avoided it this am and took Suder to Manhattan to 280. Since I did not encounter any trains on Manhattan, it was a breeze.

posted by Foodie on Jul 18, 2017 at 11:31:35 am     #

It should settle out. At the time of the OP, it was in transition.

posted by justread on Jul 18, 2017 at 11:50:28 am     #

Foodie, I go through that area around 7:45 AM each weekday

posted by Hoops on Jul 18, 2017 at 12:25:00 pm     #

Same time as I do. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Yesterday it took me 15 minutes to get through it.
Thanks for the reply.

posted by Foodie on Jul 18, 2017 at 01:08:19 pm     #

Going home yesterday evening on NB 75 between 280 and the OR exit I damn near got taken out by a speeding semi who wasn't content with the flow of traffic so he whipped out from behind me - I was in the right lane at the point where the far right lane ends which is well marked - speeds up on my right and I have another speeding semi on my tail with traffic on my left so no where to go. Idiot in semi on the right runs out of lane, locks up his brakes kicking up all kinds of debris then whips back in front of me. Idiot on my tail locks up his brakes - because there is no where for anyone to go but straight ahead - all the while blowing his horn at those of us who couldn't move.
This is a near daily occurrence with the semi trucks that barrel through the construction zone. Week before last, NB was shut down because another moron truck driver at the same place smashed into the concrete barrier and took out an entire section of the sound barrier wall.
Hey, TPD: Here's a suggestion: put down the revenue raising cameras and implement a major crackdown on ALL speeders and reckless drivers through the construction zones. If it is truly "all about safety" which we know is bullshit, then a speeding, recklessly driven 100,000 lb semi should matter more than another $150 into Toledo's coffers.
Once my heart started beating again, I promptly recited a couple of Hail Marys.

posted by Foodie on Jul 20, 2017 at 10:07:30 am     #   4 people liked this