Jenkins wife is getting PAID leave of absence

I was furious when I read about the Jenkins case and the knowledge his wife had. I was even more upset when I heard she only received a two week unpaid suspension but I know I see she is on indefinite PAID leave at a salary of $125K a year.

Who authorized this? If it's the commissioners it's time to vote them out. And are the taxpayers going to pay another person $125K to do her duties while she is on vacation, err I mean leave?

The county is becoming a bigger joke than the city government. Only in Toledo can someone commit an offense that should have them jail and not only avoid jail time but get paid $125,000 a year to do nothing for committing the crime.

created by classylady on Aug 02, 2017 at 12:15:48 pm     Comments: 8

Nope. Happens all the time in Washington too.

posted by Foodie on Aug 02, 2017 at 12:42:41 pm     #

She hasn't been charged with anything, so legally it might be a CYA move by the county while they wait for more of the story to unfold. Maybe they know charges are coming? If there are no charges, maybe they bring her back?

No idea, just thinking out loud.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 02, 2017 at 01:55:38 pm     #   4 people liked this

I don't subscribe to The Blade, so others will have to be outraged on my behalf until we figure out what is going on and whether this is actually the wrong strategy.

posted by justread on Aug 02, 2017 at 01:58:09 pm     #

I'm guessing JoeyGee is correct in that paying her is legal CYA for the county. Still sucks though.

posted by Erin on Aug 03, 2017 at 04:29:31 pm     #

JoeyGee posted at 02:55:38 PM on Aug 02, 2017:

No idea, just thinking out loud.

Unless she is under contract, they can fire her at any time as she would be an at-will employee. At her level, she wouldn't be covered by a union contract. Even if she was under an employment contract it should have a 'for cause' clause, which should allow them to fire her ... for cause. Let's see, you have sworn testimony that she knew while she was a board member of LCCSB - that's cause. IMO.

posted by not_me on Aug 03, 2017 at 04:53:59 pm     #   2 people liked this

Well, they finally fired her. Took long enough.

posted by Erin on Nov 28, 2017 at 05:45:12 pm     #

That took way too long. It would seem that when the FBI agent testified she knew what her husband was doing, firing her immediately would have been a no-brainer. WTF Lucas County.

posted by toledolen_ on Nov 29, 2017 at 05:05:07 pm     #   3 people liked this

About time. It's been almost four months, has she been on paid leave the entire time or did they eventually stop paying her? I'm betting she has been on paid leave the entire time and will be able to cash out her unused vacation and sick pay. I sure hope the county isn't offering her severance pay. Just using her work computer to search for flights for her husband on county time should have been grounds enough for immediate termination.

Her butt should be in jail along with her husband.

posted by classylady on Nov 29, 2017 at 08:54:17 pm     #   2 people liked this