2 TPS administrators suspended for taking dick pics on coworkers phone

Two Toledo Public Schools administrators were suspended without pay after one took a photo of the other’s genitals using a third employee’s cell phone during a work-related conference in Florida.

Jennifer Lawless, college and career readiness executive director, and Robert Mendenhall, curriculum director, were suspended for 10 and five days, respectively, after TPS officials found the two violated the district’s sexual harassment policy and code of conduct.

An employee reported going to the lobby at the hotel where the group was staying to retrieve a personal cell phone about 1:30 a.m. June 28, and Mr. Mendenhall resisted returning it unless the employee provided a passcode.

“After I retrieved my phone from him, I discovered that Jennifer Lawless had used my phone to take a picture of Bob Mendenhall’s penis,” a harassment complaint filed by the employee stated.

created by mom2 on Aug 07, 2017 at 06:25:51 am     Education     Comments: 34

It's your move, Washington Local.

posted by justread on Aug 07, 2017 at 07:45:51 am     #   11 people liked this

Let me grab some popcorn....this ought to be good !!

posted by Hoops on Aug 07, 2017 at 08:56:55 am     #   1 person liked this

"Officials took into account past disciplinary decisions made when other employees were punished for similar situations, he added."

There's a precedence for this?

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 07, 2017 at 09:26:09 am     #

The punishment is hang 'em high for taking photos of one hung low.

posted by Mariner on Aug 07, 2017 at 09:37:06 am     #   1 person liked this

There's a precedence for this?

Skyrocketed since Harambe.

posted by justread on Aug 07, 2017 at 09:38:38 am     #

These folks are teaching Toledo kids? No wonder Toledo has
gone so far down the drain.

posted by CatLady on Aug 07, 2017 at 10:40:07 am     #   2 people liked this

Why are we sending teachers to Florida for conferences?

And people continue to vote for these levy's

posted by classylady on Aug 07, 2017 at 10:58:31 am     #   5 people liked this

classylady posted at 10:58:31 AM on Aug 07, 2017:

Why are we sending teachers to Florida for conferences?

And people continue to vote for these levy's

They are the leading experts on possessive/plural.
We just can't crack that nut up here. :(

posted by justread on Aug 07, 2017 at 11:45:45 am     #   16 people liked this

From WTOLs story "The district says the incident happened while more than 200 TPS administrators were attending a conference" One we have more than 200 administrator Two we sent them all to FL....... Tax dollars hard at work.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Aug 07, 2017 at 08:26:46 pm     #   2 people liked this

In_vin_veritas posted at 08:26:46 PM on Aug 07, 2017:

Well...we do have an entire thread devoted to WTOL reporting, so I'm torn between being outraged by TPS and laughing at WTOL's numbers.

Reading Toledotalk. The struggle is real.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 07, 2017 at 11:33:45 pm     #

Wow, just wow. 229 employees, total cost $440,000. In the real world, no business would spend that on training. They would arrange for trainers to come HERE. Even paying 4-5 trainers to be here a week is FAR cheaper.

But, I guess that wouldn't be as much fun.

One stolen cell phone and some (assumed) drunken shenanigans have brought a much welcomed spotlight on TPS.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 08, 2017 at 07:31:18 am     #   4 people liked this

Of course, TPS is playing the classic shell game. It's ok because it's not levy dollars, it's federal funding. Oh, that makes it ok since it's not our money being wasted. Carry on, everything is good. Nothing to see here...

It's ALL our money. WE are the federal funding. The only difference is how many steps the money takes to get to you.

Besides, a waste of money is a waste of money no matter which pot it comes out of.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 08, 2017 at 08:36:40 am     #   6 people liked this

To be fair, my employer is flying 1,000 people to Dallas next week for training.

posted by upso on Aug 08, 2017 at 08:50:06 am     #

It appears that the Summer Institute was offered in 10 cities this summer.

The website doesn't state an option to bring the trainers to your own city, though that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Dallas - June 21-23
Tampa - June 21-23
Orlando - June 26-28
San Diego 1-Downtown - June 28-30
Anaheim - July 5-7
Sacramento - July 10-12
San Antonio - July 12-14
Philadelphia - July 19-21
Denver - July 25-27
Minneapolis - July 25-27
San Diego 2-Mission Valley - August 1

posted by mom2 on Aug 08, 2017 at 08:54:52 am     #

Of the cities listed, it does appear that Florida was likely the cheapest option.

The accommodations page on the organization's website lists the prices of the hotel blocks. Tampa had the least expensive hotel blocks.

It's likely that airfare to Florida may have been better priced than several of the other cities listed too.

Half a million dollars is still a big chunk of change. Whether or not the institute was worth it, I don't know. For that kind of money, taxpayers should expect absolutely freaking amazing results.

It would be interesting to know how Toledo's attendance and expenses stacked up against other districts around the country. Were other districts sending hundreds of administrators or just 5-10?

posted by mom2 on Aug 08, 2017 at 09:07:42 am     #

upso posted at 08:50:06 AM on Aug 08, 2017:

Is your company funded by tax dollars?

posted by dell_diva on Aug 08, 2017 at 09:46:52 am     #   6 people liked this

Nope!

posted by upso on Aug 08, 2017 at 10:08:27 am     #   1 person liked this

as AVID is an instructional framework that is in 22 of our schools.

If it's in 22 schools already - where are the results? That's an awful lot of money to be spending if there are not results. And how much was spent getting those 22 schools online with the framework?

I'm still struggling - the employee who dropped his drawers got 5 days, the employee who snapped the picture got 10. Now maybe it was 10 because the employee whose phone was used was innocent in all of this but if the drawer-dropper would have kept his pants on this would not have happened. Or did I just blame the victim?

posted by not_me on Aug 08, 2017 at 10:31:04 am     #   3 people liked this

It has been reported that the Queen of England was discussing matters of state and exclaimed "Balls!" immediately thereafter 20,000 subjects dropped their drawers.

posted by Mariner on Aug 08, 2017 at 10:50:42 am     #

Wah wah wah wahhhh.

posted by slowsol on Aug 08, 2017 at 12:51:23 pm     #

Apparently, Webex or GoToMeeting isn't good enough for TPS administrators. After all, since TPS does such an outstanding job......oh, wait..........

posted by Foodie on Aug 08, 2017 at 01:58:46 pm     #   1 person liked this

You do have to give credit to TPS. It takes a special organization to make people so quickly forget about the penis picture part of the story.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 08, 2017 at 02:56:07 pm     #   4 people liked this

Foodie posted at 01:58:46 PM on Aug 08, 2017:

So... I know I'm playing devils advocate, but I am a trainer within a large corporate environment. Some training can be done online for sure but some is much better in person.

posted by upso on Aug 08, 2017 at 03:16:25 pm     #

"but some is much better in person." ... like how to use your smartphone camera

posted by justareviewer on Aug 08, 2017 at 06:26:56 pm     #   3 people liked this

Right upso. After all, a dick-pic without being "in-person" is just crude. For all we know the prudes at GoToMeetings might even frown on penile portraits being shared among cyber attendees.

posted by jimavolt on Aug 08, 2017 at 06:30:26 pm     #

upso posted at 03:16:25 PM on Aug 08, 2017:
Foodie posted at 01:58:46 PM on Aug 08, 2017:

I personally don't have a problem with travel for training purposes, or even staff meals and the like in government. A huge cost to government is employee turnover, and keeping employees happy helps minimize turnover. I do have a problem with excessive spending and cutting a check for almost a half a million dollars on one seminar would definitely set off alarms for me.

posted by not_me on Aug 08, 2017 at 08:06:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

not_me posted at 08:06:40 PM on Aug 08, 2017:
upso posted at 03:16:25 PM on Aug 08, 2017:
Foodie posted at 01:58:46 PM on Aug 08, 2017:

Especially in a long time failing school district.

upso: I get what you are saying and I understand that having lived in the big corporate world in a previous life. That said, to me this kind of "stuff" is gravy and rewards in a district with the cash to spare and achievements to crow about.

Toledo has neither.

posted by Foodie on Aug 08, 2017 at 09:41:14 pm     #   1 person liked this

As a survivor of the corporate world myself, I've lost count of the number of initiatives that would "revolutionize" the way business is done--from service delivery down to how we buy paper clips. I've gone through training after training, seminar after seminar.

After each, I took the big fat binder with the shiny cover and put it on the shelf in my cubicle next to the one from the previous "revolutionary program" where it happily would collect dust until I was laid off and the cleaners would come and throw them all out as soon as I was out the door.

This doesn't sound much different. Results certainly look about the same. I never got a trip to Orlando and to the best of my knowledge, all my co workers kept all their naughty bits to themselves.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 08, 2017 at 10:20:28 pm     #   3 people liked this

When the words 6S, Lean manufacturing, Transformation, Etc... are spoken in the workplace, know that the worker is getting ready to be screwed over.

posted by Erin on Aug 10, 2017 at 09:34:59 am     #

Erin posted at 09:34:59 AM on Aug 10, 2017:

Hey, no problem. I was hoping we could save on stupid waste rather than laying everybody off. But the "workers" have spoken and apparently aren't feeling cooperative. Ok. Layoffs.

posted by justread on Aug 10, 2017 at 11:11:50 am     #

justread posted at 11:11:50 AM on Aug 10, 2017:
Erin posted at 09:34:59 AM on Aug 10, 2017:

If by "layoffs" you mean "water department", then yes. That's that I want.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 10, 2017 at 12:11:32 pm     #

If we lay them off from any other department, they will just end up in the water department so there is no other option.

posted by justread on Aug 10, 2017 at 12:34:45 pm     #

In regard to the few comparative references to decisions made in the corporate World in relation to decision made by Government the main difference is that most corporate decisions are restricted by cash flow, borrowing and profitability. If you do not have strong leadership, a good product, a sensible plan and effective implementation you will likely fail. What we are seeing in so many struggling corrupt cities like Toledo that lack honest and effective leadership is that they do not even bother looking for unpopular quantitative solutions that require difficult decisions but their solutions are almost exclusively directed at sucking harder on the Federal tit.

posted by Danneskjold on Aug 10, 2017 at 01:13:32 pm     #   1 person liked this

Or tack another trash fee onto the already ridiculous water bill. Our last quarterly water bill - $440.

posted by Foodie on Aug 10, 2017 at 04:08:22 pm     #   1 person liked this