Mayor elections....is the tide turning?

Kapszukiewicz will be joined Toledo Police, Toledo Police Command Toledo Fire Department members who will also announce their endorsement for Kapszukiewicz as mayor.

created by dino on Oct 11, 2017 at 09:07:57 pm     Comments: 8

I'm glad to see he is getting all these endorsements. But will they make a big difference? I don't allow endorsements to influence how I vote and I'm sure quite a few members of the fire and police department don't live in the city and therefore can't vote for Toledo mayor.

posted by classylady on Oct 11, 2017 at 10:57:45 pm     #   1 person liked this

Not sure how Wade is a good choice: http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/2017/10/11/Mayoral-candidate-takes-in-kind-office-space-from-Land-Bank-recipient.html

posted by nits on Oct 12, 2017 at 12:08:25 pm     #

The Land Bank must have given Dave Ball favorable treatment over the zero other developers who stepped forward and offered to redevelop the Pythian Castle.

Where's the next windmill we can tilt at?

posted by Johio83 on Oct 12, 2017 at 12:58:05 pm     #   3 people liked this

Also fun to see in the article that, though being on the board of the Land Bank, PHH didn't feel like showing up to either meeting of Dave Ball's deals. I wonder how many others she decided weren't important enough for her to attend.

posted by Johio83 on Oct 12, 2017 at 01:08:32 pm     #

I agree Johio. Not a single person was willing to spend any time even looking at the Castle. The front page piece made me think that it was going to be a hit-job, but after reading through the article, I came away thinking it wasn't so bad after all.

The Castle needs/needed a lot of work to be made safe, let alone functional and marketable. Dave Ball was willing to take the gamble. The deal also has him paying back the moneys he got towards the initial rehab on the place if he doesn't complete the process in a set period of time.

A prudent investment by the Land Bank as I see it.

I have no idea how many candidates pay rent vs get donations of office space for their temporary campaign headquarters, but I don't think that such a donation is unusual. Candidates surely wouldn't execute a 12-month lease on space that they only need for a few months.

posted by jimavolt on Oct 12, 2017 at 01:24:07 pm     #

You are very correct Jim. The facility is lightly used during an election with no long lasting impact so it's common practice to in-kind a vacant space short term. Cry baby stuff by the opposition. Also didn't know Wade's dad was a police officer until they brought it up. Some might choose him because he is a cops kid.

posted by Mariner on Oct 12, 2017 at 01:51:07 pm     #

Wade and PH2 are both on the board of the land bank. No one on the board opposed either project. If PH2 was opposed to either project she should have shown up and cast her vote. Like Johio said it makes me wonder how many other important meetings she has blown off. If the citizens of Toledo are foolish enough to reelected her when the next election rolls around the castle should be completed and I'm sure she will be taking credit for that with her campaign.

posted by classylady on Oct 12, 2017 at 02:31:57 pm     #

True enuff Clady. The important factor is what Dave Ball's dad thinks of all this.

posted by Mariner on Oct 12, 2017 at 03:46:51 pm     #   1 person liked this