OK, why did gas go up close to 30 cents?

What was the disaster the speculators or station operators used for an excuse? I read earlier yesterday that oil dropped below 100 dollars a barrel . Nothing to do with the hurricanes-so-what's the excuse? I guess my prediction was right-the unwritten law in NW Ohio is-$3.50 is the cut-off point, and they're going to see that it never goes below that here again. In case you hadn't noticed, that's the THIRD time it got jacked up when close to $3.50. I'd paid $3.52 the day before. Also-remember I said that because they didn't jack it up for labor day, ("hey-see? We're not crooks")that we'd pay later. About time to start callingSweet Marcy again about price gouging. Constant pressure on them by the politicos (and threat of actuall doing something)seems to be all that brings the price down.

created by Darkseid on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:54:45 am     Comments: 19

I didn't understand the price jump today either. I don't expect the price of gas to drop near $3 anytime soon because the refineries are going to be making up for their low profit margins when crude was rising and rising, but the almost 30 cent jump was odd.

posted by JJFad on Sep 10, 2008 at 01:04:47 am     #

posted by hockeyfan on Sep 10, 2008 at 01:47:51 am     #

People were frightened about the hurricane situation. There were likely several people that filled up in the last couple days without really needing to causing a relative shortage of gas and a spike in price. I was one of those people....I knew that if Ike got into the Gulf then we'd see prices rise, so I filled up before they did (I paid $3.49). The prices will drop back to where they were in the next 2-3 days.

I would actually argue we have. Look at when Iraq's oil fields started opening up and producing large amounts of oil (earlier this year). It was around the same time that the oil prices began dropping. While it wasn't the only factor that caused prices to drop $45 a barrel, I believe it was one of them.

posted by HeyHey on Sep 10, 2008 at 02:21:04 am     #

I think it was because OPEC recently announced production cuts.

posted by ilovetoledo on Sep 10, 2008 at 08:12:09 am     #

OK, why did gas go up close to 30 cents? ... because we will pay it

posted by justareviewer on Sep 10, 2008 at 09:24:56 am     #

It went up because the worldwide madras network needs more money to brainwash their children, kinda like a Palina school, where you teach children that death is life, and cloud it with magic stories about God, and how wonderful it will be when you manage to get in power so you can invade the next country and the world and time itself ends. Lovely bunch huh.
The other thing is that those madras schools need our $700 million dollars we give to the arabs every year, for oil. Ohio, no solar fields, no fields of wind turbines. No electric cars.

The price increase isn't from $3.59 up to $3.79. The price increase is from $1, to nearly $4 , and our enemies are manking most of the money. We need change and McOil, and Pa Lin aren't the answer.

posted by prime3end on Sep 10, 2008 at 09:33:05 am     #

"I do not understand how gas prices are set. I recently looked at an internet link that listed the top 12 oil producers in the world. Apparently, Iraq is in the top 5, but for some reason, we americans have not seen the benefit from "freeing" the Iraqis from a dictator/tyrant. Saddam may have been horrible, but at least he didn't gouge us on oil prices."

If you believe Greg Palast, the reason for the War in Iraq was to take all that oil off the world market to jack up prices. The whole war is over price controls on a commodity. War is apparently more efficient than markets and their theories.

posted by charlatan on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:25:08 am     #

oh FFS not this stupid oil conspiracy crap again...

look, if you are to stupid to understand the oil market please do not comment on it, it very annoying.

the price went up because OPEC announced production cuts, and there is another hurricane in the gulf. speculators get their panties in a bunch and prices go up.

it is that simple.

ike is going to be pushing cat 4 by the time it steam rolls into the oil production areas of the gulf.

combine that with the production cuts and the speculators are "projecting" that prices will jump. so the price per barrel jumps because they anticipate a shortage on the world market.

it's got nothing to do with lame idiotic comparisons to Palin or the "war" in iraq.

take the tin foil hat off and learn facts please.

posted by ST1DinOH on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:05:17 am     #

ah, insight from one of the board's most distinguished members who has such a wonderful way with words.

posted by Darkseid on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:45:12 pm     #

thank you for disrupting a previously civil conversation.

posted by Darkseid on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46:30 pm     #

Well, except for the long-winded response from Charlatan, whose posts few understand anyway LOL

posted by Darkseid on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:50:02 pm     #

Price per barrel hasn't been affected by the hurricane news or OPEC cuts yet. Oil is down a dollar today, two or so yesterday, and has fallen most previous days.

posted by JJFad on Sep 10, 2008 at 01:24:18 pm     #

Oh Darkse!

Are you calling me erudite or something?
Should I dumb it down for you?
Why so seriass?

posted by charlatan on Sep 10, 2008 at 05:07:07 pm     #

Nah, I know you like to impress everyone , includin' yourself, with your command of the english language. Sort of like Bill O' Reilley.(sp?)

posted by Darkseid on Sep 10, 2008 at 06:14:26 pm     #

I sure work the crowd, don't I?
With my contrarian charm.
Sorry to hurt your feelings.
Keep ya' head up and dry the eye.

posted by charlatan on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:41:55 pm     #

You're a crazy mother-fu&*^r. Tell me what that has to do with the price of gas. I'm coming to the conclusion slowly that you really ARE insane. You make no sense whatsoever in about 3/4 of your posts.

posted by Darkseid on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:28:15 pm     #

Your precious compliment was sufficient. Now I'm blushing.

posted by charlatan on Sep 11, 2008 at 08:19:56 pm     #

Maybe it's just high blood pressure.

posted by Darkseid on Sep 11, 2008 at 08:27:12 pm     #

I meant previous not precious. Oopsie.

The people at Red Cross say my circulatory system tests dangerously normal. They could just want my blood. It's nutritious I hear. Or they just like stabbing me with iodine soaked needles. Ouch.

posted by charlatan on Sep 11, 2008 at 11:47:21 pm     #