Another downtown watering hole bites the dust...Easy Street Bar.

I was just told by one of their employees that tonight is their last night.

Someone listening to some of you guys around here would be fooled into believing the downtown Toledo bar scene was part of a thriving metropolis.

There still are a few more downtown watering holes that are circling the bowl.

Easy come, easy go.

Not to worry, the Chinese are here checkbook in hand.

created by 6th_Floor on Jan 30, 2011 at 01:19:37 am     Business     Comments: 3644

source      versions      5 people liked this

** Displaying only the last 100 comments. To read all 3644 comments, Click Here. **

I met a friend for dinner at Poco Loco tonight and didn't know the Maker Mart was going on until I got there. I checked it out after dinner and was really busy and lots of cool items. Some food trucks across the street on items, people must love ice cream that go to it because there were three different ice cream trucks. Holy Toledo Doughnuts had a food truck out back, those donuts are amazing. Perfect weather

Poco Loco was really busy at 6:30 when I got there and looked like there was a wait when we left.

I rode my bike over and Uptown needs bike racks. There were a lot of bikes on adams chained to street signs and lamp posts (I chained mine to the fence of Ottawa tavern).

posted by jamesteroh on May 13, 2017 at 09:41:19 pm     #

+1 on Cilantro waiting until they had the liquor license to open up. I can understand wanting to open on Cinco De Mayo but a huge mistake not having a liquor license and then not having a properly trained staff. Created a lot of bad goodwill

posted by jamesteroh on May 13, 2017 at 09:43:48 pm     #

Hey, I was at Poco Loco tonight, too! What a crazy day today has been in downtown Toledo. With the run and the Farmers Market this morning, the Walleye game and Makers Mart this afternoon/evening, I think this is the most consistently busy I've ever seen it all over.

posted by Johio83 on May 14, 2017 at 12:13:56 am     #

first time I've been to any bar that didn't have OJ, I thought that was a bar staple.

I drink, professionally. I read drink menus more than food menus. OJ, pineapple juice, have been relegated to supper clubs. Not a criticism, just very much, out of fashion at the moment. If you go to a restaurant that serves 2 meals a day, you'll probably find both. In this case, I'd suggest the bartender recommendations.

posted by ahmahler on May 14, 2017 at 01:03:12 am     #   1 person liked this

Degage Jazz Cafe in Maumee set to close May 27th.

posted by WestToledoan on May 16, 2017 at 10:25:16 pm     #

Boyfriend and I were in the mood for Mexican and since neither of us was in the mood for adult beverages tonight and didn't care whether or not Cilantro had their liquor license yet decided to go there for street tacos.

We wasted our time walking over because we were greeted by a sign on the door saying they have new hours. They are now open Sun to Thursday from 10 to 3 and Friday and Saturday 10 to 10. They have been open less than two weeks and this is the second time they have had reduced their hours. They should be open late at least on game nights.

Why even bother being open on Sunday? Unless there is a day game there is no one in that area between 10 and 3 on a Sunday.

If they do another reduction in hours they may as well just shut down. It appears they are headed in that direction already anyway.

posted by classylady on May 17, 2017 at 09:50:32 pm     #

Art loop wasn't as busy as I thought it would be seeing the nice weather. I was disappointed that Paula Brown shop and some of the other stores downtown didn't stay open past 5 today for it.

Ended up going for a nice walk and the Adams street stores were busier than the downtown galleries. Ended up at Poco Loco and ran into a friend that also lives downtown and he agreed with me that it's a matter of when, not if, Cilantro closes.

Poco Loco really has their act together. Carlos is always there working hard along with his staff and making sure his customers are happy and the prices are very reasonable. My only gripe is their salsa is too mild and found a good work around. Put a drop of the habanero chile hot sauce that is in the condiment rack on the table in it, problem solved.

posted by classylady on May 18, 2017 at 10:32:02 pm     #

"My only gripe is their salsa is too mild and found a good work around."

I found that to be true of his Perrysburg location too. I asked for something hotter and he delivered. I believe they have hotter - you just need to ask.

posted by Foodie on May 19, 2017 at 02:56:23 pm     #

I agree about Poco Loco's salsa being too mild as well and I always had hot sauce to it. I'll ask for spicy salsa next time I'm there. It's easy enough to make mild salsa spicier but impossible to make hot salsa mild:)

I think it's one of the best new restaurants to open up in the downtown area in a long time. Food and service is great, plenty of parking nearby and prices are very reasonable.

I go there once or twice a week. I wonder if San Marco's is hurting much. I live only a couple blocks from San Marco's and haven't been to the restaurant since Poco Loco opened and I recognize some of the PL staff from San Marco's. PL has better food, better service, and they don't close at 9. My biggest complaint with San Marco's is they close at 9 on weekends.

posted by jamesteroh on May 19, 2017 at 03:36:36 pm     #

Cilantro's made a post a few days ago saying they have new prices...any info on this?

posted by ckbeats21 on May 21, 2017 at 12:21:58 am     #

posted by stooks on May 22, 2017 at 08:34:25 am     #

stooks posted at 08:34:25 AM on May 22, 2017:

Not bad but I wonder if their dinner menu is more expensive...

posted by ckbeats21 on May 22, 2017 at 10:37:38 am     #

Their menu is on their website:
cilantrostoledo.com

It appears they are still charging $3 for chips and salsa. I was hoping they would have a lunch buffet like Poco Loco.

Still no liquor permit.

posted by classylady on May 22, 2017 at 12:56:27 pm     #

classylady posted at 12:56:27 PM on May 22, 2017:

Their menu is on their website:
cilantrostoledo.com

Still no liquor permit.

The menu on their website differs from the image that was just posted above.

posted by ckbeats21 on May 22, 2017 at 01:17:57 pm     #

Went to Poco Loco again tonight, great as always.

I biked tonight and like the last time I biked there were several other bikes on that part of Adams. I'm not comfortable locking my bike to one of the street sign posts and there was already another bike locked to the street lamp post so I locked mine to the fence of the Ottawa Tavern since it was the only secure place.

I mentioned something to the manager (I think he's also one of the owners he is always there) that they should provide some kind of bike parking and mentioned that I lock my bike on the OT fence and feel kind of guilty since I'm not going there:)

He told me that they are in the process of getting a fenced in area like they have at OT shortly and people can lock their bikes to that. That will be nice having outdoor dining there even though there will only be room for a couple tables.

I complimented on the food and was telling him about the great reviews on TT and he had never heard of this site but was going to look at it now:)

posted by jamesteroh on May 23, 2017 at 11:47:43 pm     #

so, I know, I know... it's memorial day weekend and I shouldn't be surprised how busy it was tonight downtown. but holy crap, downtown was nuts!

we headed out in hopes for some margaritas and tacos at Polo Loco... nope! The block was shut down for some big event either at the OT or at the Truth gallery...

so we said fuck it! and drove to San Marcos... nope! parking lot(s) were completely full and there was only one table left in the incredibly packed restaurant. we passed...

headed over to the docks in hopes maybe we could get a seat on the patio. NOPE... parking lot beyond capacity!

beyond the baseball game, which took up all street parking downtown, what the heck else was going on? it was incredible to see so much downtown activation. What will downtown look like next year on the same night when Promedica is open?

I know next week tuesday it might be dead at 7pm but damn... tonight it was beyond capacity!

posted by upso on May 26, 2017 at 10:48:43 pm     #   3 people liked this

Just ate at Poco Loco for the first time. Best Mexican food in Toledo. My quesadilla was filled with actual steak. My gf had the grilled pineapple and loved it. The frozen margaritas were pretty good too.

posted by TrilbyGuy on May 27, 2017 at 07:44:00 pm     #   2 people liked this

Are the volleyball courts near the docks free when there aren't league games going on?

posted by ckbeats21 on May 31, 2017 at 07:42:01 pm     #

ckbeats21 posted at 07:42:01 PM on May 31, 2017:

Beach Volleyball @ International Park

Public Use/Rental
Toledo Sport and Social Club has the lease to run/operate 'The Beach' at International Park from the City of Toledo.

FREE public use hours vary depending upon league schedules and private rentals. Please email Info@ToledoSportandSocialClub.com at least 24 hours in advance to reserve a court or check availability. Be sure to include your requested Date, Times, and # of courts needed

From the TSSC website

posted by In_vin_veritas on Jun 01, 2017 at 11:39:11 am     #   1 person liked this

Had another great meal last night at Poco Loco. Boyfriend and I sat at the bar and we decided to ask for food recommendations from the bartender and she suggested ordering some ala carte items and a side. We ordered a few things and just shared them and the street tacos were awesome. Next time I'm going to order a couple varieties of the street tacos and a side of rice and that will be a good meal when combined with the chips and salsa.

I hope they add delivery service.

posted by classylady on Jun 01, 2017 at 01:35:13 pm     #

Another "YES" vote for Poco Loco. Went in the other night, sat at the bar.....pitcher of margaritas and the shrimp Cozumel !!!!

posted by Hoops on Jun 02, 2017 at 09:05:29 am     #

A new restaurant is opening up at the docks where Forrester's used to be. Suppose to open by July 4.

posted by classylady on Jun 05, 2017 at 11:24:21 pm     #

Oooo. A classic arcade - I'm in. I can forgive a lot of burger mediocrity if I can play a good game of galaga.

posted by endcycle on Jun 06, 2017 at 09:37:58 am     #

I wish them luck, but I still say it desperately needs to be subdivided. The entire Docks complex is 50,000sf. The four existing restaurants (Real Seafood, El Vaquero, Zia's, and Kobe Bay) are a combined 30,000sf. This space is the remaining 20,000sf.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 06, 2017 at 10:16:01 am     #

A quick internet search of this Rossi Penney guy doesn't return favorable things. I'd be hesitant to work for him.

posted by dell_diva on Jun 06, 2017 at 10:33:01 am     #

I see what you mean. Impressive that investors can still be found.

posted by justread on Jun 06, 2017 at 10:41:06 am     #

The WTOL story leaves me less than impressed. We shall see.

On a related note, how has Kobe Bay been doing ? Is it going to make it?

Im really pulling for success at The Docks. At its peak, that was a pretty cool place. Nighttime on the patio at Navy Bistro was fantastic, back in the day.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 06, 2017 at 11:23:52 am     #

“If you have hospitality and you have entertainment and you provide a product at a fair price, that has never not worked," Penny said. "So you know I've done four openings in the past 18 months. They're all doing great."

Three problems with this.
1) Entertaining people at a fair price has "never not worked?" What kind of research did you do on this? You think every entrepreneur who gave it an honest effort met success 100% of the time? Just gotta want it more, and you'll succeed? I think there may be quite a bit more to it than that.

2) They spelled the guys name wrong. Name spelling should be item #1 in a journalist's proofreading routine.

3) Four openings in 18 months, and none have closed yet... is basically the "best in initial quality" award.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 06, 2017 at 11:40:10 am     #

He has at least his share of closed start ups.

posted by justread on Jun 06, 2017 at 11:58:05 am     #

I like the idea of a bar in the downtown area with a classic arcade. I hope he was some games from the 80's like PacMan and Centipede.

I hope he does well.

I wish Toledo had a water taxi service between downtown and the docks and I'd go there more.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 06, 2017 at 12:20:31 pm     #

How does a guy like this get his name on a lease?

posted by Molsonator on Jun 06, 2017 at 12:25:53 pm     #

Same way previous questionable tenants got theirs on a lease - owner desperation.

posted by Foodie on Jun 06, 2017 at 01:22:41 pm     #

CRYSTAL CASTLE PLEASE

posted by toledolen_ on Jun 06, 2017 at 04:49:29 pm     #

Has anyone posted about the Lorraine Hotel getting bought out?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 06, 2017 at 05:36:56 pm     #

Hopefully the landlord collects more rent from Pier 7 than Forresters. Following 4 years of stiffed rent and another year and a half of vacancy, the cash flow can only improve there. If it opens in July, it could turn a profit for a month or two before having similar results as its predecessors.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 06, 2017 at 09:42:57 pm     #   1 person liked this

I'm surprised that the Hen House on Monroe Street closing has taken this long to be mentioned.

It never recovered after shots rang out there and a man was killed.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 06, 2017 at 09:47:26 pm     #

Rossi Penney seems like a perfect fit for that location...

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 06, 2017 at 09:56:11 pm     #

BulldogBuckeye posted at 11:23:52 AM on Jun 06, 2017:

The WTOL story leaves me less than impressed. We shall see.

On a related note, how has Kobe Bay been doing ? Is it going to make it?

I'm hearing Kobe bay is quite busy. Certainly more than many of us anticipated, xmas tree and all.

posted by ahmahler on Jun 07, 2017 at 08:46:51 am     #

I heard Kobe Bay is doing well. A lot of locals must love Sushi every time I pass by Kengo and they are opened they are slammed, even at 5:30. And I'm told Kyoto Ka at Edison/Promedica plaza does a great business. That's at least three Sushi places in the downtown area, starting to be like Mexican restaurants.

posted by classylady on Jun 07, 2017 at 10:24:04 am     #

Any word on when Plate one is going to open?

posted by classylady on Jun 07, 2017 at 10:24:26 am     #

Walk or drive past Kyoto Ka once in a while and then ask yourself what qualifies as great business. SMH

Plate 21 used to shuffle around the indoor scaffolding once a month or so, but even that hasn't happened in quite a while. We first heard the coming soon nonsense there more than a year ago, so I'd appreciate the humor of knowing when the next Plate 21 grand opening will occur. Maybe Dave Ball's dad can provide the most recent Plate 21 folly.

Fowl and Fodder has added a coming soon banner. Considering they initially announced they were going to open March/April 2017, they remain well ahead of schedule for that area.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 07, 2017 at 06:41:23 pm     #

classylady posted at 10:24:04 AM on Jun 07, 2017:

Kengo is killing it - if you like sushi and haven't been, you must go. Even if you don't like sushi, you might like the yakitori (stuff grilled over really high heat - everything from chicken meatballs to squid to asparagus to avocado - SO good).

For me, Kengo is my favorite dining experience in Toledo right now.... which is tough, since the previous number 1 was Registry - which I still love so much.

posted by endcycle on Jun 08, 2017 at 08:53:47 am     #   2 people liked this

Is anyone familiar with the apartment building that caught on fire today uptown? I never heard of it...is it low income or something?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 13, 2017 at 07:20:29 pm     #

It's near poco loco and adams cleaner on the other side of the side. I think it's low income but not sure. Not sure if it's low income or not. Looks like a fairly nice building on the outside

posted by classylady on Jun 13, 2017 at 07:26:28 pm     #

posted by classylady on Jun 13, 2017 at 07:26:29 pm     #

Didn't use to be low income. That may be an internet rumor.

Have had friends live there over the years. In it many times. Huge apartments. They stretch from front to back. Over 1,500 sq ft. per unit. 16 units. I know the area around it is not great, but all sorts of people pay good money to live above a semi-slum.

posted by justread on Jun 13, 2017 at 07:47:54 pm     #

Those apartments are each larger than the average home in Toledo.

posted by justread on Jun 13, 2017 at 07:48:38 pm     #

justread posted at 07:47:54 PM on Jun 13, 2017:

Didn't use to be low income. That may be an internet rumor.

Wow, that's really unfourtunate. Hopefully they build something in its place.

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 13, 2017 at 08:29:45 pm     #

Sorry, was thinking of the wrong building. I thought the building that burned down was "The Chaney" Isn't that low income?

posted by classylady on Jun 13, 2017 at 09:04:53 pm     #

The new Chaney Flats is low income, yes.
The one that burnt down is not. As mentioned it was a beautiful and historic building.

From some friends on the scene, it sounds like a lot of pets may have lost their lives, which is so sad to me. Thankfully, that area is not deemed historic, so it will be easy to rebuild something in it's place, not that I expect that to happen, but the fire has just created dozens of new people looking for an apartment in the area.

posted by upso on Jun 13, 2017 at 09:27:10 pm     #

I went to poco loco for dinner around 7:30 tonight and didn't even know about the fire until I got there. By the time I was done with dinner it looked like the fire department was gone and adams was open but a few of the side streets were still closed.

The bartender at Poco Loco was upset and knew some people who lived there and mentioned they lost their cat. Even if they build new apartments it is going to take a long time and hope the people have good luck finding new places seeing there is a shortage of housing in downtown as it is.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 13, 2017 at 09:50:31 pm     #

There are a number of places accepting goods for the residents (nonperishable foods, clothing, hygiene items, etc). The Village on Adams Facebook page has info about locations, items needed, etc. Zach at Manhattan's is planning to do a fund raiser, likely on Saturday.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 13, 2017 at 09:57:10 pm     #

Tough loss for an area trying to increase population density. TFD remains at the scene...the building appears to be a total loss. I cannot imagine the devastation of losing everything, including a pet in a fire.

I generally despise large charities, but directly lending a helping hand to local citizens with this type of tragic loss is something I will support. I'm in the process of moving, so I'll set aside various household items to donate.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 13, 2017 at 10:35:38 pm     #   1 person liked this

My mind keeps going back to a time when a friend and his wife moved in there in the late 80s and had me and the g/f over for dinner. It was the first time I was ever in the building. It was a cool apartment. From the big front windows to the back porch. There was something so old school about it. Just walking in was like watching The Christmas Story or something. Sorry for all those impacted. :(

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2017 at 06:10:21 am     #

Plate I is identified as a participating in DORA per the flyer. I thought it was supposed to be a coffee shop?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 17, 2017 at 08:39:15 pm     #

I remember Dave Ball's father mentioning to me a while back that Plate 1 was going to have a liquor license and serve adult beverages and be open for game days and special event. She'll probably be a coffee shop during the day and serve adult drinks after work

posted by classylady on Jun 17, 2017 at 09:32:14 pm     #

Sandy spoke quite a few times in various articles about it having a liquor offering, which went hand in hand with it being open later than most other coffee shops/houses.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 17, 2017 at 09:46:22 pm     #

When is Plate One going to open? Last year Sandy said she was hoping to open in Late August or early September (2016). Perhaps she meant August of 17:) Space doesn't look like it is close to being done.

posted by classylady on Jun 17, 2017 at 11:22:39 pm     #

classylady posted at 11:22:39 PM on Jun 17, 2017:

This seems like it really bothers you.

posted by justread on Jun 18, 2017 at 05:49:09 am     #   1 person liked this

Doesn't really "bother" me. But it does make one wonder why a place that was suppose to have opened almost a year ago still isn't close to being open and isn't doing much work on the space.

That spot used to be a coffee house and Biggby was able to transform their new spot into a coffee house in about a month through a lot of hard work.

I hope she succeeds and I love to buy local, but if local merchants want us to buy local they have to be open.

posted by classylady on Jun 19, 2017 at 09:33:58 am     #

Any worrd here on Cilantro on Huron? A girl in my office and myself gave them another try Thursday. Even though they've been open a month and a half still no liquor license. Not a big issue seeing this was lunch but when I go out for Mexican at night time I want a rita and the boyfriend wants a Corona. The food was good but service was awful. We were about ready to walk out and then our food finally arrived. No charge for chips and salsa and not sure if it was because it took so long for the food to come out or if they realized it was a mistake charging for them.

I see they aren't list a participant on the DORA site

posted by classylady on Jun 19, 2017 at 10:40:31 am     #

I was there for lunch last week with a buddy, and we weren't charged for the chips and salsa either. I had tacos, which were very good. He had some kind of burrito, which was absolutely massive, and he said he would get it again. Service was prompt, but we were also one of only three tables in there at noon on a Thursday.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 19, 2017 at 10:47:46 am     #

Toledoans must have focked up tastes. How can they not keep a White Castle, Skyline Chili or Fazoli's in business? Oh, that's right, no alcohol at those places. Keep on boozing it up Jeepsters!

posted by kritter on Jun 21, 2017 at 01:57:07 am     #

Why you hate Zenobia Shriner tiny cars, bro?

posted by justread on Jun 21, 2017 at 05:41:05 am     #   3 people liked this

It's not the cars it's the tasseled hats that are disturbing.

posted by Mariner on Jun 21, 2017 at 07:10:28 am     #

kritter posted at 01:57:07 AM on Jun 21, 2017:

Am I reading that right? You are blaming Toledoans bad culinary tastes for the failures of white Castle, Fazoli's and Skyline? Some may look at those failures as a sign of discretion. On an unrelated note- do you frequent many fast food establishments that offer a gin & tonic?

posted by ahmahler on Jun 21, 2017 at 07:42:33 am     #   2 people liked this

Don't feed the troll. Nature ran its course and resolved the issue.

posted by jr on Jun 21, 2017 at 07:47:07 am     #   7 people liked this

I attended the Toledo Warehouse District Meeting last night and am very impressed with the organization and how efficiently they operate.

Unlike the downtown planning meetings they had last year where they paid a lot of money to a Cleveland firm, the plans they talked about last night have a possibility of actually happening and make sense.

I like how they are trying to make the district more pedestrian and bike friendly and trying to add more residential in the TWD. I wish they would add more condo's for sale instead of rental units though.

The timeline was very interesting, they have accomplished a lot in just 15 years.

posted by classylady on Jun 21, 2017 at 01:13:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Thank you Junior, that was one unhappy kritter.

posted by OldTimer on Jun 21, 2017 at 01:32:32 pm     #   1 person liked this

I agree with him about Skyline. Used to frequent the one at Glendale and Byrne in the late 80s/early 90s. I love that stuff. Try to get it when I'm in Columbus.

posted by MemyselfandI on Jun 21, 2017 at 04:28:06 pm     #

classylady posted at 01:13:36 PM on Jun 21, 2017:

What plans did they discuss exactly?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 21, 2017 at 04:30:00 pm     #

I also agree about Skyline. I liked White Castle for late night munchies.

Don't miss Fazoli's. Didn't they close a lot of stores in other cities as well? When they first opened in the 90's I liked their breadsticks and some of their entrees but thought it went downhill fast.

Del Taco is the fast food chain I miss.

posted by classylady on Jun 21, 2017 at 04:34:01 pm     #

Great question. I am currently looking for one of these. With a drive through. Let me know.

posted by justread on Jun 21, 2017 at 04:38:00 pm     #

I wish we would get a Culver's. Every time I drive to Lima I have to stop there.

For a fast food establishment with G&T or a drive thru you'll have to go to the Big Easy. I've seen adult drinks at some fast food places there and also drive through daquri huts.

posted by classylady on Jun 21, 2017 at 04:40:16 pm     #

I've tried to love Culver's. Anytime I drive to Minneapolis I stop by and I am always greased out.

posted by upso on Jun 21, 2017 at 05:57:21 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 04:38:00 PM on Jun 21, 2017:

Maybe Manhattans will add a drive up window?

posted by ahmahler on Jun 21, 2017 at 07:54:44 pm     #

Murray's To Go will have a walk up window.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 21, 2017 at 08:08:28 pm     #

Johio83 posted at 08:08:28 PM on Jun 21, 2017:

Murray's To Go will have a walk up window.

There you go justread-you can leave your car running

posted by ahmahler on Jun 21, 2017 at 08:55:57 pm     #   1 person liked this

In 'n out is the fast food chain I'd love to see in Toledo

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:25:27 pm     #

In 'n out is the fast food chain I'd love to see in Toledo

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:25:28 pm     #

ckbeats21 posted at 04:30:00 PM on Jun 21, 2017:
classylady posted at 01:13:36 PM on Jun 21, 2017:

What plans did they discuss exactly?

posted by upso on Jun 24, 2017 at 10:06:30 am     #

I finally made it down to Carlos Poco Loco tonight, and I see what everyone is talking about it. The food was really, really good. I had a tamale and a street taco with pork carnitas. Delicious. That and a glass of sangria, really good. Definitely will be going back, I really want to try the grilled stuffed pineapple next time.

posted by foodie88 on Jun 24, 2017 at 09:11:11 pm     #

foodie88... that is exactly what i order there... with the rice and beans. as the metabolism continues to slow, portion control is becoming my watchword :-))... some of the entrees they have are ginormous

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jun 25, 2017 at 10:56:27 pm     #

Children's discovery center closed a few weeks ago. Someone in my building was telling me about it and she know has to get up earlier to drop them off in Maumee. She said they were the only quality day care center downtown. Surprising they would close with Promedica being so near to opening up downtown.

posted by classylady on Jun 27, 2017 at 04:11:50 pm     #

The classes haven't been full for along time and guess what else comes when ProMedica finally arrives? Higher rent. It won't be the last place to close.

posted by westsidebob on Jun 28, 2017 at 08:39:41 am     #

On the brighter side, I am glad this thread can finally transition away from tacos.

posted by westsidebob on Jun 28, 2017 at 08:40:18 am     #

New lofts coming in next to Bartley

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 28, 2017 at 09:10:32 am     #

The article doesn't say. Is that still being done by the Peruvian guy?

posted by justread on Jun 28, 2017 at 10:33:58 am     #

Yup, Arte Express is the firm's name.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 28, 2017 at 11:52:51 am     #

The blade is reporting the state just awarded tax historic tax credits for the renovation of 139 S Huron into apartment and retail. It's the old Al Peaks

posted by In_vin_veritas on Jun 28, 2017 at 11:54:52 am     #

In_vin_veritas posted at 11:54:52 AM on Jun 28, 2017:

Link?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:30:28 pm     #

5 Apartments
1st Floor Resturants
3 million dollar project to begin soon now that they were awarded $610,000 in tax credits.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:47:51 pm     #

IBC is the same people who bought the Erie Street Market.

....For $600,000.

posted by justread on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:51:36 pm     #

Didn't someone by the Commerce Paper Building or is that the same building we are talking about?

posted by Molsonator on Jun 28, 2017 at 01:27:02 pm     #

We need a lot more residential downtown. I wish we would concentrate more on owned condos than rental units. I know two couples in their 30's that would love to live downtown but they want to own not rent.

posted by classylady on Jun 28, 2017 at 01:31:18 pm     #

Children's Discovery owns the space that is why I'm surprised they closed. Maybe they're hoping ProMedica will go in the day care business and buy it, they are buying everything else.

posted by classylady on Jun 28, 2017 at 01:40:59 pm     #

Molsonator posted at 01:27:02 PM on Jun 28, 2017:

Different projects and investors. The commerce paper building was just approved to proceed by city council yesterday. No timetable for construction to begin though.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Jun 28, 2017 at 01:49:29 pm     #

Molsonator posted at 01:27:02 PM on Jun 28, 2017:

That's the Fernando Palazuelo project with 75 units referenced in ckbeats post above. We kind of hit on both projects.

posted by justread on Jun 28, 2017 at 02:04:27 pm     #

The good news is, we can't keep the developments straight. :)

posted by justread on Jun 28, 2017 at 02:04:50 pm     #