Tearing Down Libbey
Near the end of the OSFC (Ohio Schools Facilities Commission) meeting in Room 309 (“The Decision Room”) at the Board of Education, I posed a question that many of my colleagues do not want to hear. We are trying to save the buildings at the Libbey campus. The Board of Education wants to tear them down (unless someone with deep pockets comes to the rescue) to save the expense of protecting these structures and the fools that would trespass in them. My question to Lisa Sobieki was: What will happen if these buildings are torn down? Would they turn the land into a “brown field” that would sit unused for years? We have been told that we were too late in the process to save Libbey but when should we involve ourselves in what happens after Libbey is torn down? She said we should be involved today.
So anyone have any thoughts on this. If Libbey is found to be riddled with contaminants should we pay the additional thousands or millions to remediate the toxins or leave it standing as is? The estimated cost for demolition is $1.7 million (of which TPS is responsible for 22 percent, and the state of Ohio will cover the remaining 78 percent if the demolition is finished by Dec. 12, 2011). I imagine if problems are found with contaminants in the building then the cost of tearing it down will go up. Anyone have any experience with this? I am sure that other schools have been torn down in the past that had asbestos and other contaminants in them. I have heard that sometimes the best course is to not disturb the contaminants while the building is in use.